Today in Things You Should Probably Remember News:
- Don’t bother bears, drug dealers, or wasps.
- Don’t tempt piranhas, serial killers, or rattle snakes.
- Don’t eat rancid things or take bad medicine.
The Melbourne Metro just issued an almost unbearably cute cartoon PSA starring bean-shaped characters who die in these and other adorable ways. Their point? Don’t mess with trains. The spot’s folksy song, written by McCann executive creative director John Mescall, is catchy enough to stick with you all day–and it’s free on Metro’s accompanying website, DumbWaysToDie.
Why did the Metro feel the need to make this precious, violent PSA? According to a writeup by local affiliate WTVR, Australia’s second-largest city does not suffer from a shortage of stupidity:
“Metro recorded 979 slips, trips and falls by passengers in its annual safety report for 2011-12, with injuries ranging from minor wounds to serious injuries to the head and face. It reported 23 collisions between a train and a person, not counting suicides or attempted suicides. Six pedestrians were hit at a level crossing, two of whom were killed. There were also 11 collisions with vehicles at level crossings, three of which resulted in a death, and 74 near misses.”
Alright then. PRNewser applauds this message and reminds readers to stop doing dangerous things like wearing earbuds while biking, texting while walking, or trying to save money by riding in the “freeloaders” section on the train this Thanksgiving:
- 'Lucky Charms' Leprechaun Meets Auto-Tune in New Acid Trip of a Commercial
- As 'The Office' Winds Down, 'Dunder Mifflin' is Gearing Up
- 'Disney' Retracts Made-Over Merida After Public Backlash
- Take That, Abercrombie & Fitch -- Man Rebrands A&F By Giving Clothes to Homeless