TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

ABC

ABC News is the news gathering and program production division of the ABC TV network, a subsidiary of the Disney/ABC TV Group. ABC News programs include “Good Morning America,” “World News with Diane Sawyer,” “Nightline,” “20/20,” and “This Week.” James Goldston is the president of ABC News. He succeeded Ben Sherwood who was elevated to the position of co-president of the Disney/ABC TV Group in March 2014.

George Stephanopoulos Runs a Jeopardy! Category

GeorgeJeopardyOn Jeopardy! last night, ABC’s chief anchor George Stephanopoulos was the focus of an entire category. In the category, “A Visit with George Stephanopoulos,” the “GMA” and “This Week” host played the part of Alex Trebek reading all the clues. Most of them were about interviews Stephanopoulos has conducted. However, “Who is Diane Sawyer?” was the $400 clue.

Stephanopoulos taped them a few months ago on the “World News” set in New York. Insiders tell us anyone who attended the taping had to sign confidentiality agreements not to discuss it until the show aired. Jeopardy! producers didn’t ask for input on questions nor did they run them by Stephanopoulos’ team beforehand. Still, some of the clues were reworded during the taping, but without changing the substance.

Two different contestants answered all of the clues correctly.

Shakeup at ‘The View’

As Barbara Walters makes her return to “The View” tomorrow to promote her “20/20″ special, two other cast members are making their way toward the exit. Earlier this evening TMZ reported Sherri Shepherd was being pushed out. Not long after, Jenny McCarthy Tweeted, “If Sherri goes… I go too. #sisters.” Later, McCarthy posted this picture with Sheperd and Co-Executive Producer Bill Geddie. (Walters remains an Co-EP on the show.)

Tomorrow’s “The View” was pre-taped Wednesday, so it will be business as usual on the show. In hindsight, Walters’ splashy farewell last month presaged bigger changes for the daytime show. While Whoopi Goldberg is staying, TMZ reports former “Tonight Show” intern Ross Mathews and former NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer are on the short-list to join.

Update: B&C reports the show will be moving from its studio on the West Side of Manhattan to ABC headquarters near Central Park West, occupying Katie Couric’s former studio. For a glimpse at that studio’s green room, check out Couric’s “My First Big Break” video produced by MediabistroTV in April.

More: Statement from ABC: “The View will be moving in an exciting new direction next season and ABC has made decisions to evolve the show creatively.”

More, More: Statement from Sherri Shepherd: “It’s been seven wonderful years on The View and after careful consideration it is time for me to move on. I am extremely grateful to Barbara Walters and Bill Geddie for giving me the opportunity. I look forward to the business opportunities that lay ahead for me and I am incredibly grateful to my View family and my fans for supporting me on this journey.”

Families of Elliot Rodger’s Victims Upset By Media Attention Given to Killer

UCSBParentsThe parents of David Wang and George Chen, two of the first victims of Elliot Rodger during his killing spree last month, tell CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy no one from Rodger’s family has reached out to them.

“We want to hear some personal condolence and apologize, and this is the minimum they should do,” says George Chen’s father Johnny Chen. Tracy reached out to Elliot Rodger’s father Peter Rodger last night, who has now sent a letter of condolence. That’s too late for the families, who say the killer and his family have been given too much media attention, including Barbara Walters‘ sit-down with Peter Rodger scheduled to air as a “20/20″ special tomorrow night.

Tracy says the couples hadn’t planned on speaking to the media, but felt a responsibility in hopes of preventing future similar tragedies. WATCH: Read more

ABC’s ‘NY Med’ About ‘Far More Than Entertainment’

OzAfter almost two years of production, ABC’s high-stakes medical docu-series “NY Med” returns tonight at 10pmET.

TVNewser was at the new season’s preview screening two weeks ago, where doctors, nurses, and patients spoke about their experiences on the show.

“We see this show as far more than entertainment,” EP Terry Wrong told us. “We often have had doctors and nurses come up to us and say they went to medical or nursing school because of our shows.”

One doctor part of the show definitely went to medical school: Dr. Mehmet Oz is in the right place at the right time during tonight’s premiere, when a patient’s condition worsens to the point where Oz doesn’t know whether he’ll live past the next ten minutes.

From life-threatening ER crises to a more lighthearted case involving an older gentleman hell-bent on having sex again, the show offers a little bit of everything.

“There are points where a story gets so hard, that I don’t want to see it, and I don’t think the viewer wants to see it,” Wrong said about deciding what to include in episodes and what to leave on the cutting room floor. “You have to use your own gut check, not just as a producer, but as a human being.”

The show works by not “lecturing audiences about some issue like healthcare,” Wrong says.  “Tell them a story with strong doctors, nurses or patients and they will absorb the information as it relates to the characters they become invested in.”

‘World News’ Handoff Begins

SawyerMuirAt the end of tonight’s “World News,” Diane Sawyer talked about her upcoming transition off the show and introduced her replacement. “I love every night I get to spend with you,” said Sawyer, “and I’m so happy that someone you know well is going to be at the helm of ‘World News’ starting September 2nd. David Muir is going to be anchor, managing editor sitting right here at this desk.”

Added Muir, “For everyone in this studio, everyone in the control room, down in the newsroom, they know that you’re the captain here, they know you have led us.”

WATCH:  Read more

The ‘Subliminal Message’ Behind David Muir’s Ascent to ‘World News’ Anchor

david muirCome September, three white men will anchor the three network evening newscasts. Is it 2005 — or 1975 — all over again? Some think so.

“The evening news anchors are the face of the network,” says Karen Turner, an associate professor of journalism at Temple University in Philadelphia, whose research focuses on race in the news. “In this growing multicultural nation, it’s unconscionable that as of September three white men will lead their respective networks.”

Brian Williams, 55, has been anchor of “NBC Nighty News” since 2004, he took over for Tom Brokaw who had been anchor since 1982, and John Chancellor before that. Scott Pelley, who turns 57 next month, has been at the helm of “CBS Evening News” since May, 2011. That broadcast was anchored by Katie Couric for the previous 5 years, and by Bob Schieffer, Dan Rather (briefly paired with Connie Chung) and Walter Cronkite in earlier years.

Muir, 40, takes over for Diane Sawyer who has been anchor since 2009. Sawyer came in following the retirement of Charles Gibson who, in 2006, succeeded the anchor team of Bob Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas. The Woodfuff-Vargas pairing lasted only a few weeks following the serious injuries sustained by Woodruff in an attack in Iraq.

“Certainly Pelley, Williams and now Muir are accomplished journalists,” Turner adds. “However, the subliminal message this sends is these — white males — are the legitimate faces that should represent America.”

Why the ‘World News’ Changes? Quotes from Diane Sawyer, David Muir and George Stephanopoulos

DAVID MUIR, DIANE SAWYER, GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS, JAMES GOLDSTON

ABC sent us this picture of ABC News president James Goldston, “World News” anchor Diane Sawyer, incoming “World News” anchor David Muir and ABC news Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos following this morning’s announcement of anchor changes at the network news division.

“After wonderful years at “World News” I decided it is time to move to a new full time role at ABC News,” said Sawyer in a press release. “I’ll be joined by an incredible team of journalists dedicated to enterprise reporting, innovative approaches to breaking news and new ways of thinking about big issues and events around the world. I can’t wait to continue bringing more of my specials to prime time and appearing on all ABC News broadcasts, as well. And to my friends and colleagues George and David – congratulations. I look forward to exciting work together and great times ahead.”

“On this incredibly humbling day, I think of the 12-year-old boy with a dream of being a reporter and seeing the world,” added Muir. “I never could have imagined seeing that world with Diane Sawyer. On this day I thank her for not only setting the bar for the rest of us, but for being a trusted friend. I cannot wait to begin this new adventure with Diane and with George, whose political brain power and endless curiosity inspire me, and drive us all to be better every day.”

“Getting the chance to do work you love — work that touches people’s lives every day — is one of life’s greatest privileges,” said Stephanopoulos. “Even luckier is when you get to do that work with the best in the business – Diane, David and our entire ABC News team. It’s an honor to be part of that team. I can’t wait to build on our success — and bring our viewers our best — for years to come.”

See Goldston’s note to the ABC News staff after the jump…

Read more

Diane Sawyer Leaving ‘ABC World News;’ David Muir Takes Over as Anchor and Managing Editor

Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 8.30.51 AM

Breaking: ABC’s Diane Sawyer is stepping down from anchoring “World News” and will focus on primetime specials, big interviews, and enterprise reporting for the network. David Muir, who has been sole anchor of the “World News” weekend editions since 2011, will take over as anchor and managing editor of the flagship broadcast on September 2. Muir, 40, will continue to co-anchor “20/20″ with Elizabeth Vargas.

Also announced today, “Good Morning America” co-host and “This Week” anchor George Stephanopoulos takes on the new role of chief anchor of ABC News. He’ll lead special reports, breaking news and election night coverage for the network as well as continuing with “GMA” and “This Week.”

Insiders tell us Sawyer began talking with former ABC News president Ben Sherwood late last year about a transition from the anchor desk. With the retirement of Barbara Walters last month, Sawyer will now take on some of the specials and interviews that for years were part of Walters’ stock in trade.

Under Sawyer, “World News” has been gaining on “NBC Nightly News.” The broadcast won the May sweeps in the A25-54 demo for the first time in more than 6 years. Sawyer, who began anchoring “World News” in December 2009, is the second woman to solo anchor a network nightly newscast, following Katie Couric‘s 2006-2011 run at “CBS Evening News.” “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” maintains a one million viewer lead most nights on “World News” and hasn’t lost a week among total viewers in nearly 5 years.

The Sawyer, Muir and Stephanopoulos news is at the top of the agenda of ABC News president James Goldston‘s morning editorial meeting. We’ll have details if/when we get them this morning. A replacement for Muir on the weekend newscasts will come at a later date.

ABC News Launches on Apple TV

ABC AppleAs of 10amET, ABC News is now available on Apple TV.

Lost Remote has all the details on the new ABC offering, which features a 24/7 livestream made up of news events and anchored reports, a wide variety of video-on-demand-clips, local content from various ABC News affiliates, content from ABC’s 50-year-old archives, and more.

The ABC News Apple TV product also offers an extension of ABC News’ broadcast coverage. For example, as George Stephanopoulos signed off from his broadcast cut-in of President Obama’s Iraq statement last week, he told viewers they could get more on Iraq by “starring this story on the ABC News mobile app.” ABC tells us to expect more of ABC News broadcast pushing viewers to extended coverage on Apple TV.

“We’re not going to be able to cover that [Iraq] all day on the ABC network,” Doug Vance, ABC News VP of Product Strategy, said, using Stephanopoulos guiding viewers to the the ABC News mobile app as a template for how ABC will guide viewers to their Apple TV product.

“It’s a very complementary experience throughout the day. You have TV, you have your phone, and you have this.”

Joan Lunden Reveals Breast Cancer Diagnosis on ‘GMA’

LundenFormer “Good Morning America” co-host Joan Lunden revealed she has breast cancer this morning.

“I heard those words that every woman fears, and never wants to hear…’you have breast cancer,’” Lunden told Robin Roberts on this morning’s “GMA.” “In the beginning, it’s such a shock, it’s a stunner, and you think, ‘I do everything right, I get checked, and I’m healthy’…you almost feel like, ‘what did I do wrong?’”

Lunden explained that the cancer wasn’t found in her routine mammogram—it was a follow-up ultrasound that spotted it. She credits her husband and children for being her support system: “Like a lot of you who watched this show and have for years, you saw Jamie, Lindsay, and Sarah grow up. They’ve been with me at every appointment.” Her support system also extends to social media; there’s a hastag #TeamJoan, which Roberts used at earlier. “You are a messenger, and that’s what’s so important. I am right here with you, and so is all of your extended family [at "GMA"],” Roberts, who survived breast cancer in the 2000s, said.

Lunden says her cancer was caught early, but is the aggressive kind. She’s already started chemotherapy.

“I’ve shared my entire life journey with the people on the other side of that camera, so it only stood to reason I would share this,” Lunden said. “That’s when I called you.”

WATCH:

Read more

<< PREVIOUS PAGENEXT PAGE >>