TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

How Many Boston Viewers Watched Cable News During Bombing Suspect’s Capture?

Digging deeper into the ratings for the TV news coverage from Boston Friday night: as we told you Monday, 46 million watched the crucial 8pm hour of coverage on cable and broadcast networks.

But now we have a better look at how it played on Boston TV — the nation’s 7th  largest market made up of 2.37 million TV homes. As TVSpy reports, 68% of Boston households were tuned in to local coverage from 8-9pm. Another 11% of Boston homes were tuned into one of the cable networks — Fox News, CNN or MSNBC — bringing the total percentage of households watching the news in Boston during that hour to 79%.

While the local stations got the most viewers, CNN led the way among the cablers in Boston with 139,000 total viewers and 77,000 A25-54 viewers in the 8pm hour.

Here’s the Boston ratings breakdown by network:

7:00-9:00 pm:

  • CNN:  2.1 rating / 5.0 share with 125,000 total viewers (3.0 / 6.0 with 73,000 A25-54)
  • Fox News:  1.7 / 4.0 with 101,000 total viewers (1.1 / 2.0 with 26,000 A25-54)
  • MSNBC:  0.6 / 1.0 with 35,000 total viewers (0.3 / 1.0 with 7,000 A25-54)

8:00-9:00 pm:

  • CNN:  2.4 / 5.0 with 139,000 total viewers (3.1 / 6.0 with 77,000 A25-54)
  • Fox News:  2.0 / 4.0 with 116,000 total viewers (1.2 / 2.0 with 29,000 A25-54)
  • MSNBC:  0.8 / 2.0 with 47,000 total viewers (0.4 / 1.0 with 9,000 A25-54)

 

Mediabistro Course

Online Production for Writers and Editors

Online Production for Writers and EditorsStarting July 17, learn how to create multi-dimensional content for your digital mediums! Taught by a multiplatform journalist, Darragh Worland will teach you how to create content that is multi-dimensional and editorially relevant, use the web to its full potential, create stories that have social media campaigns built in and increase your value as as an employee. Register now!