Fueled by a busy news month, CNN was the #2 cable news network in total day, behind only Fox News, in July. In primetime, CNN was third in total viewers and second in the A25-54 demographic.
The ratings for July 2014 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 514,000 Total Viewers / 164,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 402,000 Total Viewers / 124,000 A25-54
Despite posting a strong month within the cable news landscape, CNN was down across the board compared to the same month last year: the network is down -23% in total viewers and -32% in A25-54 viewers in total day and -24% and -35%, respectively, in primetime.
Every hour of CNN programming from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. is down year-over-year. In primetime, “Anderson Cooper 360″ was down -14% in total viewers and -26% in A25-54 viewers, while “CNN Tonight” was down -29% and -37%, respectively, compared to July 2013. Cooper was #2 in the 8pmET timeslot in both total viewers and the demo.
Several CNN programs were #2 in their respective timeslots for the month, including the 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. hours of “CNN Newsroom,” “Legal View with Ashleigh Banfield,” “The Lead with Jake Tapper,” “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer,” “Smerconish,” “Inside Politics with John King,” “State of the Union with Candy Crowley” and “Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter.”
The network continues to see success with its original series: “The Hunt with John Walsh,” which debuted this month, has averaged 917,000 total viewers and 298,000 A25-54 viewers for its first three episodes, making it the top-rated show in its timeslot in both ratings measurements. “The Sixties,” which is seven episodes into its 10-episode run, is averaging 1,073,000 total viewers and 291,000 A25-54 viewers, ranking #2 among cable news in its timeslot.
CNN’s release, after the jump.
CNN IS #2 IN CABLE NEWS IN JULY IN BOTH TOTAL DAY AND PRIMETIME
New Day Tops MSNBC’s Morning Joe In Key Demo 25-54
MSNBC Slips to 4th in Total Day and to 3rd in Prime; Morning Joeis also 4th and Rachel Maddow has Second Worst Month Ever
CNN’s New Original Series The Hunt with John Walsh and The Sixties Continue to Score
For the month of July, 2014
- CNN ranked #2 in Total Day among total viewers (404k vs. MSNBC’s 319k) and in the key demo 25-54 rating (125k vs. MSNBC’s 92k).
- CNN ranked #2 in M-Su Primetime among 25-54 (166k vs. MSNBC’s 154k).
- CNN ranked #2 in M-F Primetime in the key demo 25-54 (168k vs. MSNBC’s 149k).
- CNN ranked #2 in Dayside (9a-4p), posting a 90% advantage over MSNBC in total viewers (446k vs. 235k) and 120% more in the demo (108k vs 49k)
This month, MSNBC slipped to 4th place in Total Day (92k) and Dayside (49k) and to third in M-F prime (149k) and M-Su prime (154k) in the key demo 25-54. MSNBC’s flagship program The Rachel Maddow Show posted its second lowest month ever in the demo rating (181k), the lowest ever was last month (178k). MSNBC’s dayside performance represents the network’s second lowest monthly delivery since October, 1999. Fox News ranked #3 this month in Weekend Prime posting 150k in the key demo 25-54. All the cable news networks were down in total day this month vs. last year due to heightened viewing from the Zimmermann trial verdict among other stories.
July, 2014 CNN show highlights include:
- New Day topped 4th place MSNBC’s Morning Joe in the key demo 25-54 (93k vs. MSNBC’s 79k).
- CNN Newsroom anchored by Carol Costello ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 at 9a/10a. MSNBC’s Daily Rundown (9a) was 4th in the demo (60k).
- At this Hour with Michaela and Berman ranked #2 in both total viewers (421k) and the demo (102k). MSNBC’s News Nation placed 4th in the demo (50k).
- Legal View with Ashleigh Banfield ranked #2 in both total viewers (481k) and the demo (111k). MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Report was 4th in the demo (55k).
- Wolf ranked #2 in both total viewers (459k) and in the demo (112k). MSNBC’sRonan Farrow Daily was 4th in the demo (43k).
- CNN Newsroom anchored by Brooke Baldwin ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 at 2p/3p. MSNBC’s Reid Report (42k) and The Cycle (46k) placed 4th in the demo.
- The Lead with Jake Tapper ranked #2 in total viewers (493k) and the demo (112k). MSNBC’s Now with Alex Wagner placed 4th in the demo (49k).
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (5p) ranked #2 in total viewers (535k) and demo 25-54 (125k). MSNBC’s Ed Show placed 3rd in the demo with 71k.
- CNN programming at 6p (Sit Room/Crossfire) ranked #2 in the demo and had a combined delivery with 133k. MSNBC’s Politics Nation followed with 99k in the demo.
- Erin Burnett Outfront ranked #2 in the demo (154k). MSNBC’s Hardball trailed with 121k.
- AC 360 ranked #2 in the key demo (170k) easily topping MSNBC’s Chris Hayes(130k).
- CNN programming at 10p ranked #2 in the demo with 166k, outperforming MSNBC’s (Last Word/Crime Docs) 144k.
- Smerconish ranked #2 in both total viewers (530k) and the demo (137k). MSNBC’sUp w/ Kornacki was 4th in the demo (65k).
- Inside Politics with John King ranked #2 in total viewers (407k) and in the demo 25-54 (120k).
- State of the Union with Candy Crowley ranked #2 in total viewers and the demo 25-54 at both 9a and noon.
- Fareed Zakaria GPS (10a) ranked #2 in both total viewers (520k) and key demo rating (141k) and ranked #1 in the demo (147k) at 1p.
- Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 in both total viewers (405k) and 25-54 (117k).
CNN Original Series have continued to score this month with strong ratings performances:
The Hunt with John Walsh (launch to date 7/13/14-7/27/14)
- CNN’s newest Original Series has delivered strong ratings so far this month. Over its first three Sunday 9pm premieres, The Hunt is #1 in its time period in both total viewers and the demo 25-54.
- The program averaged 917k among total viewers and 298k in the key demo easily ahead of Fox News (765k/133k) and MSNBC (340k/174k).
- The show is up +65% among 25-54 vs. the prior to launch four Sundays and +67% for total viewers in the same time period.
The Sixties (launch to date 5/29/14-7/27/14)
- Over its seven Thursday 9pm premieres, The Sixties is averaging 291k among 25-54 and 1,073k in total viewers.
- The program ranks #2 among cable news in the time period in both 25-54 rating and total viewers, topping MSNBC (149k/768k).
- The Sixties is ranking above the prior-to-launch Thursday time period average by +197% among 25-54 (98k) and +216% in total viewers (340k).
Middle-East/Malaysia Flight 17:
- Since the Israel-Gaza conflict and the Malaysia Flight 17 story began on Thursday, July 17th, CNN has averaged 168k in total day and 224k in 8p-11p prime among 25-54.
- CNN has posted the strongest growth in both dayparts of any cable news network versus the prior four weeks, increasing by +70% in total day (99k) and +53% in prime (146k) among 25-54.
Data is a blend of Nielsen Live+SD and the more inclusive Live+3 and final Live+7 data when available.
- CNN Reports Hackers Sent Message to Sony: 'You've Done the Right Thing'
- The Scoreboard: Wednesday, December 17
- CNN's Patrick Oppmann: 'My Cuban Friends Reacted With Joy...Some Cried Tears'
- Flying Home From Cuba to the U.S., Alan Gross Got to Watch a Lot of CNN