Welcome back! We’re on week 7 of The #WeekendJobSearch, our ongoing series that breaks the whole job-search process into 13 totally doable to-do items.
Last week, we helped you start networking, taking a few small steps toward connecting you with professionals and influencers in your field. This week, we’re powering your network even further by getting you enrolled and involved in professional associations.
Also on Mediabistro
The #WeekendJobSearch Assignment #7
Join an Association
There are plenty of great reasons to join a media association. Here are just a few of the benefits these organizations offer:
- Chances to connect at sponsored events with others in your field at various points in their careers
- Opportunities for professional development with conferences, classes, newsletters and webinars that keep you up on industry trends
- Discounts on event admissions
- Hiring managers’ interest when they see your membership listed on your LinkedIn profile
Sure, most associations are not free—though local organizations tend to be less expensive than national ones—but if you’re serious about becoming the job seeker employers are scrambling over, consider this an investment in your future, super-hirable self.
Check out this list below to get started. If you can foot the bill, sign up for an association today within your media niche. And if you’re strapped for cash, join a LinkedIn group right now. Here’s a good start: Ask to join this popular digital marketing group or become a bronze member of The Association of Strategic Marketing—it’s free.
Editorial & Journalism
PR & Communications
And that’s it for week 7! Next week, we’ll be tackling interview prep so you can go into your next meeting with a recruiter or hiring manager confident, prepared and ready to close the deal.
- Start from the beginning: #WeekendJobSearch Assignment #1
- Share your progress on Twitter: #WeekendJobSearch