If I were still in the first three years of my professional journalism career, I’d be applying for this opportunity with the Society of Professional Journalists. If you do fall within years 1 and 3 of your post-college career and you want to advance your skills in reporting and new media, then you have until Thursday (March 15) to get your application in for the SPJ Reporters Institute this summer.
This program, which runs three days in June at The Poynter Institute in Florida, costs $300 plus travel. For that, you’ll meet some top journalists/instructors (and network with other young peers). The sessions will cover all of the following topics (and more):
- writing for the web
- video basics
- creating multiplatform stories
- using census data
- mobile newsgathering
- using public documents to break news
- engaging your audience
You need to apply now (and get your boss on board), because the deadline is this week and only 36 young journalists will be chosen. The application is relatively simple, with questions about your background, previous training, challenges you face today and hopes for the future.
Here’s where to apply.
- Reynolds Business Journalism Center Offers Financial Fellowship Worth $1,500
- Digital Pub OZY Receives $20 Million In Funding
- Hacks and Hackers New Executive Director is Planning for Growth
- Storytelling Conference May Have Tips for Digital Pubs