TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Newsfeed

Morning Media Newsfeed: ABC Debuts New View | CNN Ordered to Rehire Union Staff

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

The View Premieres With New Co-Hosts, Queen Barbara Walters (TVNewser)
A revamped The View premiered Monday morning with its original co-executive producer sitting in a Queen’s throne getting doused with affection. “Thank you my pals,” Barbara Walters said as co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg, Rosie O’Donnell, Nicolle Wallace and Rosie Perez looked toward her throne. LostRemote On social media, fans were not really feeling the new View. The biggest complaints were about the new format. Many complained about the new hosts, although Perez was an all-around favorite. THR / The Live Feed Goldberg kicked off the premiere of its 18th season by introducing it as “the newer View,” filmed in an ABC Broadcast Center studio space and featuring a tweaked logo. “We’re gonna try a lot of new stuff — some of it will work and some of it won’t, but the thing that will never change is its great conversations with great women.” Mediaite O’Donnell caught the audience up with what’s been going on in her personal life since then. They then gave the floor over to Perez and Wallace to introduce themselves. Perez talked about a Broadway show she’s working on and her philanthropic efforts, while Wallace got to share her background in politics and the Bush administration. When Wallace mentioned she was a Republican, O’Donnell piped up, “I really like her, I swear to God!” Variety The audience is more prominent and appears more frequently during the program. A new producer, Bill Wolff, who once oversaw MSNBC’s flagship Rachel Maddow, will now run proceedings.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Travel Writing

Travel WritingStarting September 23, learn how to turn your travel stories into published essays and articles! Taught by a former Vanity Fair staff writer, James Sturz will teach you how to report, interview, and find sources, discover story ideas and pitch them successfully, and understand what travel editors look for in a story. Register now! 

Morning Media Newsfeed: Digital First Mulls Sale | DirecTV to Launch Online Services

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Digital First Media, Second Biggest U.S. Newspaper Publisher, to Consider Sale (HuffPost / AP)
Newspaper company Digital First Media said Friday that it is exploring strategic options, which could include a sale of the company or parts of it. New York Post Chief executive John Paton said the publisher of the Denver Post, the Los Angeles Daily News, The New Haven Register and 73 other daily and Sunday papers is profitable and generates $1.2 billion of revenue. NYT Digital First has long suffered from the headwinds facing newspapers. One former division, The Journal Register Company, which includes papers like The New Haven Register and The Trentonian, filed for bankruptcy twice in the last five years. In April, the company announced that it was shutting down Project Thunderdome, a centralized newsroom that aimed to provide articles from around the nation and the world to the company’s 75 newsrooms. That closing resulted in layoffs for more than 50 people in the Project Thunderdome newsroom. Denver Post Digital First Media was formed in December 2013 with the merger of Denver-based MediaNews Group and the former Journal Register Co. It is the nation’s second-largest newspaper company, based on circulation, operating in 15 states, with 800 multi-platform news and information products, including 76 daily and Sunday newspapers and 160 weeklies. The company said it serves 75 million customers monthly. Poynter / MediaWire Ken Doctor reported in April that Digital First planned to sell its newspapers at the same time it shuttered Project Thunderdome. The company won’t set a deadline for the sale or report any developments “until the Board has determined whether it will proceed with one or several transaction(s), or otherwise concludes its review,” a news release said.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Tebow Joins GMA | EU Regulators Approve BSkyB Acquisitions

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Tim Tebow Joins Good Morning America as Contributor (TVNewser)
With football dominating much of the news this week, Good Morning America is adding another former NFL star to its roster. THR / The Live Feed Already ingrained in the Disney-ABC family as an ESPN analyst, Tim Tebow officially makes his debut on the current No. 1 morning talk show as the newest contributor on Sept. 15. HuffPost ABC News said that Tebow will help with the morning show’s “Motivate Me Monday” series, reporting from the studio and towns across the country on inspirational stories. The Sentinel Tebow’s first story will focus on 10-year-old Deven Jackson of Perry County, Pa. Two weeks ago, Jackson played in a midget football game, three years after losing both legs to a rare illness. Tebow spent the day with Jackson and his family at their home. Tebow also spoke to Jackson’s midget football team. The league is trying to raise $10,000 to purchase the proper equipment for Jackson. The Wire Tebow, 27, played college football at the University of Florida from 2007-2009, during which time he became the first underclassman to win the Heisman Trophy. Despite early success in the NFL with Denver Broncos, Tebow struggled in subsequent stints with the New York Jets and New England Patriots.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: CNN Hires Carney | Sony, Viacom Reach Cloud-Based TV Deal

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Jay Carney to Join CNN as Political Commentator (FishbowlDC)
Former White House press secretary Jay Carney has joined CNN as a political commentator Washington bureau chief Sam Feist announced Wednesday. His first assignment was on the network’s coverage pertaining to President Barack Obama’s remarks on ISIS. TVNewser “I’m thrilled to be joining CNN at a time when there is so much happening in the nation and the world,” said Carney. “Jay’s unique experience as both a journalist and a White House press secretary make him an invaluable voice for the network as we cover the final two years of the Obama Administration and look ahead to the coming campaigns,” said Feist. THR / The Live Feed Carney, who served as Time magazine’s Washington bureau chief before departing to the White House, resigned from his administration role on May 30. Within days, speculation swirled about which media role he would pursue — a book and a cable news job were both mentioned. On June 18, less than a month after leaving the White House, The Washington Post reported that CNN already had made “a fine offer” to Carney for a network role. Mediaite Carney’s new employer hardly comes as a surprise, as many expected him to join one of the three major cable networks after he stepped down from the podium in June — though his name was also bandied about for a position at Apple or a startup. Politico Carney said when he left the White House in May that he’d maintain a public presence in the media. He also signed with the Washington Speakers Bureau. Carney joins a long line of former White House press secretaries making the jump to cable: Robert Gibbs joined CNBC after leaving the White House, Dana Perino is currently a host on Fox News, and George Stephanopoulos is now an ABC News anchor.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Politico Expanding to Europe | Fox News Defeated in Fair Use Suit

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

It’s Official: Politico’s Headed to Brussels (FishbowlDC)
A 12:44 p.m. ET email from Politico president Jim VandeHei confirmed expansion to Europe, joining with Berlin-based media company Axel Springer to cover European politics and policy. Capital New York The 50-50 joint venture will cover the European Union as well as “European politics and policy more broadly,” VandeHei and editor-in-chief John Harris told staff in the memo, confirming recent reports that the influential Beltway website and congressional newspaper was eyeing expansion abroad. HuffPost / Backstory Details have not yet been finalized for the new organization, though Politico‘s leadership has been working on the plan throughout the year. VandeHei, Harris and owner Robert Allbritton have met in Brussels with top European journalists and diplomats about the potential launch of Politico Europe, as the outlet is tentatively titled, according to sources familiar with the discussions. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media VandeHei and Harris called Axel Springer “Europe’s largest and most powerful media company.” “Axel Springer is a highly impressive, highly ambitious company that shares our obsession with building media companies that produce and can sustain nonpartisan journalistic excellence,” they wrote. “They do about $3.6 billion in annual revenue and house a number of digital start-ups in their Berlin-based offices. We are excited to join forces with them.” NYT Politico was founded in 2007 and rose quickly to become a player in the world of political reporting. It has recently been considering ways to grow and refine its journalism. Last year, it started a magazine that focused on deeper and more expansive stories. The site also hired an executive editor Rick Berke from The New York Times in October, but he resigned Sunday, citing differences with Harris and VandeHei. Axel Springer, which publishes Bild and Die Welt among others, said last year that it was selling two regional newspapers and several magazines to focus on digital media.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Ravens Cut Rice Following TMZ Video | Todd Wins on MTP

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Ray Rice Cut by Ravens Following TMZ Video Release (TVNewser)
At 4 a.m. ET Monday morning, TMZ posted a video showing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out his fiancée Janay Palmer — now his wife — in an Atlantic City elevator last February. By 2:30 p.m., Rice had been suspended indefinitely by the NFL and cut by the Ravens. PRNewser The NFL’s SVP of communications Greg Aiello explained things to CNN: “We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today.” Mashable The video shows a man believed to be Rice and a woman in a lobby at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Feb. 15, 2014. The woman is believed to be Palmer, now Janay Rice, whom Rice married in March. After entering an elevator, the two briefly scuffle. The man then hits the woman with his left hand, causing her head to appear to hit the handrail in the elevator. The woman then slumps to the ground and does not move. The man then proceeds to drag her out of the elevator while she still appears to be unconscious. Security arrives after that. Variety ESPN host Keith Olbermann has accused the NFL and commissioner Roger Gooddell, among others, of covering up the Rice domestic violence situation. Rice was given a two-game suspension by the NFL last month over the incident, but on Monday, the league suspended the football player indefinitely as a result of the graphic video. Mediaite TMZ founder Harvey Levin said Monday that none of this would have happened, and Rice would have gotten away with it scot-free, had TMZ not put the video online.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Todd Makes MTP Debut | Scarborough Joins NBC News

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Chuck Todd’s First Meet The Press: ‘This Program Will Continue to Evolve’ (TVNewser)
Chuck Todd opened his first Meet The Press, surrounded by the press. At a new desk, with Todd at its center, NBC’s political director introduced those around him: MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, Nia-Malika Henderson of The Washington Post, NBC’s Andrea Mitchell and waiting in the wings, BuzzFeed’s John Stanton and Amy Walter, formerly of ABC News, now with the Cook Political Report. FishbowlDC For his first Sunday as moderator, Todd talked exclusively with President Barack Obama on topics ranging from ISIS to U.S. relations with Russia and Ukraine and the 2014 midterm elections. The interview took place at the White House over the weekend and aired during Sunday’s 10:30 a.m. broadcast of MTP. Deadline Hollywood Things got testy — and Todd showed a tendency to interrupt — when Obama defended his decision to delay executive action on immigration, saying the summer’s surge of unaccompanied children at the Mexican border changed the politics of the issue. He rejected Todd’s notion the postponement is a political tactic intended to help embattled Democrats in the months before midterm elections, saying that the delay will help make new immigration policies “sustainable” when they are announced later this year. HuffPost There were other small tweaks in the show; Todd threaded his big interview with President Obama throughout the show instead of front-loading it at the beginning, turning to the panel after each portion was over. Todd’s real test will be in the weeks and months ahead. Todd has vowed to cut down on the Beltway bloviators and said he won’t book politicians unless they actually have a stake in the issue at hand. And, of course, he has to pull Meet The Press out of its ratings sinkhole. Politico In selecting Todd as moderator, the NBC News brass is gambling on the belief that a Sunday morning public affairs show can still set the national agenda, as it did under the late Tim Russert. The payoff, they hope, is that Todd can once again make Meet The Press a dominant force in American politics and — though they’d never admit it publicly — effectively erase the nightmare that was David Gregory’s final year as moderator.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: RIP, Joan Rivers | Wright to Replace Snider at DreamWorks

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

RIP, Joan Rivers (FishbowlNY)
Comedian Joan Rivers died Thursday. TVNewser The news came from Rivers’ daughter, Melissa just before 3 p.m. ET. Rivers, who was 81, stopped breathing while undergoing outpatient surgery in New York City last Thursday. She was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital and put on life support. NYT The State Health Department is investigating the circumstances that led to her death, a state official said Thursday. A spokeswoman, Judy Katz, said the cause of death had not yet been determined. Deadline Hollywood During a minor endoscopic procedure last Thursday to check her vocal cords at an Upper East Side clinic, Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai, where she was put into a medically induced coma. Wednesday she was moved from intensive care to a private room at the Manhattan hospital. Mediaite Rivers got her start as a guest on the Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in 1965, often filling in as host for Johnny Carson over the years. But after she took a job as a rival host on the Fox network without consulting Carson, he banned her from the Tonight Show, a situation that stayed in effect until she briefly appeared on Jimmy Fallon’s first night as host earlier this year. The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers only lasted one season, but she went on to a successful stint of reality shows later in life, including Fashion Police and Joan and Melissa: Joan Knows Best? with her daughter. The Daily Beast In her last big interview, Rivers spoke candidly to The Daily Beast in July about Hollywood celebrities’ thin skins, contemplating suicide after her husband’s suicide, sex, dating and her own mortality.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Bloomberg Back to Lead Company | Obama Vows Justice for Sotloff

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Michael Bloomberg to Return to Lead Company He Founded (NYT)
Michael R. Bloomberg has decided to reassume the leadership of his business empire only eight months after ending his final term as mayor of New York. Late Wednesday, Bloomberg told close confidants and senior executives of Bloomberg LP, a financial data and media company, that Daniel L. Doctoroff, its chief executive and a longtime friend and lieutenant, would leave the company at the end of the year and that he would take over. FishbowlNY It seems like only yesterday that Bloomberg was chiding us for drinking large sodas and eating too much salt. In fact, that was about nine months ago. During the time since he vacated the mayor’s office, Bloomberg has become bored. And so he’s returning to a little company called Bloomberg LP, as its CEO. WSJ In a statement, Bloomberg said he hadn’t intended to return to Bloomberg LP after his mayoral stint was completed. “However, the more time I spent reacquainting myself with the company, the more exciting and interesting I found it — in large part, due to Dan’s efforts. I have gotten very involved in the company again and that led to Dan coming to me recently to say he thought it would be best for him to turn the leadership of the company back to me.” NPR / The Two-Way Both Bloomberg and Doctoroff, a former deputy mayor under Bloomberg before being tasked with running the company, told the Times that there was no animosity between them regarding the shift. Forbes Bloomberg only had praise for his former deputy, who took revenues from $5.4 billion in 2007, just before he became president, to more than $9 billion this year.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Journalist Sotloff Beheaded by ISIS | WaPo Publisher Out

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

American Journalist Steven Sotloff Reportedly Beheaded by ISIS (TVNewser)
Two weeks after James Foley was beheaded by ISIS, American journalist Steven Sotloff has reportedly been executed by the same group. FishbowlDC “This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully since this threat against Mr. Sotloff’s life was originally made a few weeks ago,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest Tuesday afternoon. Earnest went on to say, “I’m not in a position to confirm the authenticity of that video or the reports at this point since I obviously just walked out here. If there is a video that has been released, it is something that will be analyzed very carefully by the U.S. government and our intelligence officials to determine its authenticity.” ABC News In a new video, which appeared online Tuesday, Sotloff addresses the camera, saying, “I’m sure you know exactly who I am by now and why I am appearing.” Later the video then cuts to the militant who says, “I’m back, Obama. I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State [ISIS].” Politico Sotloff, 31, grew up in Florida and was a freelance journalist, having worked for publications like Time magazine and Foreign Policy. He was taken hostage while reporting in Syria last year. WSJ The Islamic State video also showed a man identified as Briton David Cawthorne Haines. He is kneeling and wearing an orange jumpsuit as the militant threatens to kill him next. A U.S. official said there is no reason to believe the video isn’t authentic. USA Today The U.S. intelligence community has concluded that a video appearing to show the beheading of Sotloff is genuine.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>