The New York Press Club is set to convene it’s 17th annual conference at NYU’s Kimmel Center later this month.
The gathering, themed “Hard News in Hard Times,” will see late news legend Walter Cronkite inducted into the organization’s hall of fame and WCBS courts reporter Irene Cornell honored with a prize for outstanding achievement in journalism. David Faber of CNBC will provide the keynote address.
If conferences are your thing and you’re free on Saturday, September 26, you might consider forking over the $50 for non-members ($35 for members, $15 for students.) In addition to the usual fare of how-to’s, there are a number of panels focused in one way or another on the changing media landscape.
A list of panels at the conference after the jump
* The Economy & the News – A look at the recession and the impact it has had on the news media, with Carole Zimmer, Bloomberg; Eric Carvin, Associated Press; Amy Eddings, WNYC; Sarah Bartlett, CUNY Graduate School of Journalism; Stacy-Marie Ishmael, FT Alphaville.
* The Bloomberg Administration & the Press, with Gabe Pressman, WNBC-4; Azi Paybarah, PolitickerNY.com; Adam Lisberg, New York Daily News; Michael Barbara, The New York Times; Grace Rauh, NY 1 News.
* Using Online Tools to Reach Journalists, with Ann Somerlath, Edelman; Peter Shankman, Help-A-Reporter-Out; Rob Ingram, Gorkana; Lloyd Trufelman, Trylon SMR/ NY Convergence.
* The Perfect Portfolio – What You Should Include in Your Job Search Presentation and How it Should be Presented, with Philana Patterson, Associated Press; Allison Hemming, The Hired Guns; Michelle LaRoche, Dow Jones.
* Ethics and the New Rules of Journalism in the Age of Multitasking the News, with Francie Grace, Public Agenda; Greg Marx, Columbia Journalism Review; Steve Scott, WCBS Newsradio880.
* You are What You Write: Food Journalism, with Victoria von Biel, Bon Appetit magazine; Bob Lape, Crain’s New York Business and WCBS; Patricia Mack, gayot.com; Joanna Pruess, cookbook author and freelance writer.
* Negotiating Contracts – What You Need to Know in the Age of Freelancing and Contracting, with Paramjit L. Mahli, Sun Communications; Joel Greenwald, Esq., employment attorney, Traci Wilkes, Esq. attorney/agent, Willinger Talent Agency; Marcia Larson, Dow Jones.
–by Greg Wasserstrom
- Gabriel Sherman Talks Fox News and Roger Ailes at New America NYC
- An Afternoon Dishing With Martha Stewart
- AFAR Conversations: Media Pros Talk Tourism
- Vice's Correspondent Confidential Reveals Journalists' Untold Stories