— DIANE CLEHANE
Last week we developed some serious whiplash craning around to keep up with the A-listers that table hopped at lunch. Today’s crowd was much more low key with a smattering of regulars dotting a somewhat unfamiliar landscape consisting of business types and the occasional captain of industry who might dazzle in the boardroom but didn’t make for the star gazing we’ve come to expect at 55th & Fifth. After checking in with a few of my favorite folks, I settled into my regular perch at the bar and made the acquaintance of fellow diners Michael and Linda Warfield who were in visiting from California. The Warfields, bemoaning the lack of famous faces they usually see on their regular trips, kept me entertained by sharing stories of Michael’s days as a producer of mall extravaganzas where television stars would meet and greet their devoted fans. Michael gave me the skinny on his favorites (The Dating Game‘s Jim Lange and Dynasty‘s Emma Samms — remember them?) and those who were, shall we say, a bit too high maintenance. (My lips are sealed). Just when I thought this week would mark a first — a celeb-free Wednesday! — I caught a glimpse of Judy Collins swaddled up in a pink pashmina chatting with a snowy haired gent at the door when I was on my way out. Here’s hoping the joint is jumping once again next week.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. The Imber gang — or at least most of them — Dr. Gerry Imber, Michael Kramer and Jerry Della Femina. Where was Jeff Greenfield?
2. Jonathan Wald.
3. ‘Mayor’ Joe Armstrong and Men’s Health honcho Dave Zinczenko. The tireless Mr. Z’s new book Eat This, Not That co-authored by Matt Goulding (published by Rodale, of course!) is a fascinating read for those of us (you know who you are) who delude ourselves into thinking as we toast the holidays with that festive holiday Starbucks — “This isn’t that bad.” Reality check: a Venti White Hot Chocolate with whole milk is a whopping 640 calories and 28 grams of fat! And don’t even think of having that cinnamon chip scone — it’s got 490 calories and 25 grams of fat!! The compulsively readable tome (that smartly fits into a tote) does offer healthier alternatives. Young Dave will be on Today tomorrow morning talking all about it …
4. Warren Liebfarb
5. Boxing promoter extraordinaire Bob Arum and his wife, Lovey.
6. Judge John Keating.
7. InStyle editrix Charla Lawhon (looking chic all in grey) with Jason Weisenfeld and another gentleman we didn’t recognize.
8. Our good pal Walter Sabowith Parade‘s Ira Yoffe. Walter, who sporting a holiday tie festooned with Santas, made this observation about his sartorial choice: “You usually see ties like this are Chicago but I’m bringing the look to the media epicenter!” Ho ho ho!
9. Publicity maven Maury Rogoff.
10. Cindy Lewis and a mystery gal …
11. Chris Taylor.
12. Early show: Lawrence Ashmead. Second shift: Michael Gross and Joely Hunt.
14. Alice Mayhew.
15. Missy Godfrey.
16. Kent Brownridge lunching with a scribe from MediaWeek. Here’s a fun fact: It was a bit of a Rolling Stone reunion this afternoon with Joe Armstrong, Don Welsh and Claeys Bahrenberg(who all toiled at the title during the late 70s and early 80s) chatting amiably before adjourning to the respective tables. Interestingly enough, none of these gents acknowledged Brownridge, Wenner‘s erstwhile BFF.
17. Ed Rollins and Steve Cohen.
18. John Josephson.
20. Estee Lauder’s Sally Susman.
21. Quest‘s Chris Meigher and fab furrier and PETA target Dennis Basso.
22. George Leeds.
23. Mort Hamburg (husband of Joan, in case you didn’t know …)
24. Lorna Graev .
25. Allen Wurtzel.
26. Pat Mitchell.
27. Jim Mitchell.
29. Lady in red: Pamela Keogh who looked dazzling in Valentino (Loved the darling handbag, too!).
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.
- Walter Isaacson, Harvey Weinstein and Johnny Weir I Linda Fairstein Emcees Authors In Kind
- Michael Strahan, Maria Shriver and Dishing With LuAnn de Lesseps
- Bette Midler, Al Roker & Bravo's Bickering Brokers From Million Dollar Listing New York
- Carole Radziwill on Her New Book and Dueling With Bravo's Delusional Diva