He’s been on the job for less than three years, but next weekend New York’s Archbishop, Timothy Dolan, enjoys the biggest moment of his ecumenical career.
Last month, Dolan was chosen by the Vatican to become a Cardinal. His elevation is scheduled for Saturday, February 18 in Rome.
Dolan won’t be making the trip alone. A contingent of TV and radio reporters is headed to Italy to cover the elevation.
- WCBS/Channel 2: Anchor Maurice DuBois and reporter Tony Aiello will be in Rome starting at mid-week. Aiello files reports on Wednesday, while DuBois begins on Thurs. Channel 2 covers the elevation ceremony live at 4:30 a.m.
- WNBC/Channel 4: Weekend anchor David Ushery leaves for Rome on Sunday to take part in the station’s coverage next week.
- WNYW/Channel 5: Dick Brennan provides reports for 5 p.m., 6 p.m., and 10 p.m. newscasts Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Heather Nauert travels to Rome for updates on Good Day New York Friday. Additionally, the station plans extensive live coverage of the Vatican ceremony Saturday morning. Channel 5 will then offer viewers a half-hour special recapping the day’s event at 6:30 p.m. and again at 10:30 p.m.
- WABC/Channel 7: Weekend anchor Joe Torres makes the Rome trip with live reports starting Tuesday on Eyewitness News This Morning. Channel 7 will provide live regular coverage of the ceremony.
- WPIX/Channel 11: Mary Murphy and Dan Mannarino leave this weekend for Vatican City. Reports start with the PIX Morning News Tuesday.
- NY1: NY1 and NY1 Noticias will be heading to Rome with a group of New Yorkers making the pilgrimage. NY1 reporter Vivian Lee and NY1 Noticias’ Adhemar Montagne will be in Rome five days of coverage. Reports on both channels will begin on the February 15 with live reports beginning each morning and continuing throughout the day. On February 18th, NY1 and NY1 Noticias will present the elevation ceremony live. Also, once Dolan returns to New York, NY1 and NY1 Noticias will take his first mass after as Cardinal live from St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
- WCBS 880: Veteran reporter Rich Lamb will be on scene early next week.
- WINS: Juliet Papa travels to Rome Tuesday providing the bulk of the station’s coverage. WINS also supplements with network correspondents.
- Joan Hamburg Returns to New York Radio Airwaves
- Lorne Michaels Engineers Another Inspired Succession
- Vulture Circles Debra Messing's Off-Target Show
- Radio Show Offers Forensic Analysis of Sam Kinison's Soul