Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.
Rupert Murdoch Caught on Tape: ‘We Will Hit Back’ (Gawker)
ExaroNews, a British investigative website, has just published the full transcript of a secretly recorded meeting between media mogul Rupert Murdoch and the staff of The Sun, a U.K. tabloid owned by News Corp., in which Murdoch admitted that he was aware for decades that journalists from his newspapers had been bribing both police and public officials. CJR / The Audit At long last we now have indisputable evidence that Murdoch knew about the culture of criminality at his newspapers. It’s fair to say Murdoch is going to have some major headaches from this one: “We’re talking about payments for news tips from cops: that’s been going on a hundred years, absolutely. You didn’t instigate it… I remember when I first bought the News of the World, the first day I went to the office… and there was a big wall-safe… And I said, ‘What’s that for?’ And they said, ‘We keep some cash in there.’ And I said, ‘What for?’ They said, ‘Well, sometimes the editor needs some on a Saturday night for powerful friends. And sometimes the chairman is doing badly at the tables, and he helps himself.’” The Guardian / Greenslade Blog The real significance of the tape is that it reveals the true, unexpurgated Murdoch. As I have said often since the hacking scandal first broke, as the man at the top I believe he has been responsible for the journalistic culture at Wapping. This tape appears to prove my point. The Guardian A prominent Labour MP has said US authorities should press corporate corruption charges against Murdoch’s global empire after he admitted in a secretly recorded meeting with staff on The Sun that payments to police were part of “the culture of Fleet Street.”
Posts Tagged ‘News of the World’
To say thank you for a great year, we’re offering 15% OFF any boot camp, in-person course, or online course when you use code MBTHANKU. Choose from any of our exciting upcoming courses, from a copy editing class taught by the chief copy of Seventeen magazine, to an intro course for Excel. Hurry – offer expires 12/24! Browse our upcoming courses.
Rebekah Brooks, the former editor of News of The World and the flashpoint for the News Corp. phone hacking scandal, has been officially charged with conspiring to hack into phones.
It was just last week that Brooks, Andy Coulson (former media head for Britain’s Prime Minister) and five others were accused of “conspiracy unlawfully to intercept communications.”
The Huffington Post reports that all six are being charged with hacking phones over a six year period.
In the most significant charges in the long saga that is the News International phone hacking scandal, Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson and six others are being accused of “conspiracy unlawfully to intercept communications.” The New York Times reports that, if convicted, they face two years in prison and/or a fine.
Brooks is the former head of British newspapers for Rupert Murdoch and ex-editor of News of The World. Coulson is the former head of media for Britain’s Prime Minister, David Cameron. Brooks released a statement declaring her innocence, while Coulson has not commented on the charges.
Others being charged include Stuart Kuttner, the managing editor of NOTW, Ian Edmondson and Greg Miskiw, two senior editors, reporters Neville Thurlbeck and James Weatherup and private detective Glenn Mulcaire.
Among celebrity news, Celebuzz strives to be the first to break a story, which is a lesson editor-in-chief Dylan Howard learned early in his career from Rubert Murdoch. In his So What Do You Do? interview, Howard discusses the influence Murdoch had on his career as a young journalist in Australia, and how he brought that style of news breaking to America.
“Regardless of what went wrong in the practice of journalism at the News of the World, Rupert Murdoch’s footprints are still all over journalism in Britain and Australia. He shaped a lot of journalists’ careers, including this one,” Howard said. “From the outset, it was drilled into this young journalist that, to sell newspapers, you need to break stories. Therefore, it became part of my DNA. With the exception of a handful of rogue Brits, the Murdoch empire has produced a prodigious number of news breakers, who incidentally, do it the right way.”
– Andrea Hackett
Rebekah Brooks — the former editor of News of The World — and five others are the first to be criminally charged in the now year-old phone hacking scandal that has left many questioning the direction of News Corp. and its leadership. According to The Guardian, Brooks, along with her husband and others, have been charged with “perverting the court of justice.”
Investigators allege that all six removed evidence — including computers, documents and more — from those probing the phone hacking. The maximum sentence for the charge is life in prison, but the average sentence for those found guilty of “perverting the court” is 10 months.
While Brooks and her husband said the charges were “weak,” Alison Levitt, a legal adviser for the investigative team, said, “There is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction.” Stay tuned, because the trial probably won’t happen anytime soon.
Rupert Murdoch, during another round of testimony before Parliament, apologized for the phone hacking scandal in one of the best ways to apologize that we’ve ever come across. Murdoch, according to The New York Times, said that he “was very sorry about it” and that he wished he could apologize “to a lot of people, including all the innocent people” at News of the World.
He also referred to the scandal as “a serious blot on my reputation.” Then he turned around and blamed Colin Myler, current Editor-in-Chief of The New York Daily News, and former editor of News of the World.
Colin Myler, the New York Daily News’ Editor-in-Chief and former News of The World editor, is coming under fire for allegedly intimidating British investigators. The Guardian reports that while Myler was editor of News of The World, he attempted to bully officials who were investigating the paper for phone hacking.
Myler allegedly asked a group of six reporters to find whatever “dirt” they could on those probing the paper, such as if they were doing anything illegal themselves, or if they were gay. Myler testified to Parliament that the phone hacking at News of The World was the result of one rogue person, so these new allegations will certainly cast further doubt on his statements.
As a New York profile of Myler points out, this isn’t the first time he has been challenged for his methods:
Former News of The World Editor and CEO of News International Rebekah Brooks has been arrested once again. The New York Times reports that
her she and five other individuals were rounded-up early this morning on suspicion of “conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.” In American terms that’s obstruction of justice.
Brooks was arrested — then bailed out — last summer in connection with the phone hacking scandal. She has maintained that she wasn’t aware of anything illegal going on at the paper or News International. Her husband, Charlie Brooks, was also arrested.
The identities of the others arrested was not disclosed.
James Murdoch is in trouble. Yes, again. The New York Times reports that Murdoch, despite claiming the contrary to Parliament during testimony, was alerted to the fact that there was widespread phone hacking at News of The World, as early as June 7, 2008.
Murdoch has consistently said that he knew nothing of the documentation — which showed evidence of the hacking, and a reply from Murdoch saying that he wanted to discuss things in person — while others insisted that he had. A look at what was uncovered in the email chain:
One lawyer says the case [a lawsuit by someone who claimed to be hacked] is a ‘nightmare scenario,’ because it might uncover other voicemail interceptions and names other journalists implicated, the other notes that Mr. Taylor [the person suing] wants to demonstrate that hacking was ‘rife throughout the organization.’ As he forwarded the chain to Mr. Murdoch, Mr. Myler [editor of News of the World] warned that the situation was ‘as bad as we feared’ and requests a meeting to discuss the matter further. Mr. Murdoch’s reply offering to talk came two minutes later.
Now how is James going to escape this? It’s right there. He got the email. He replied. Murdoch’s defense? He opened the emails on his Blackberry, and didn’t actually read the full contents. A creative try by James — who hasn’t used the Blackberry defense to get out of family gatherings and the like — but we think he might have to come up with something better very soon.
Glenn Mulcaire, the British private detective who hacked phones for News of The World, has been ordered to reveal the names of the people who directed him to do so. Bloomberg reports that Mulcaire lost his appeal to prevent having to name the people who hired him.
This is big, obviously. While over 10 people have been arrested so far, the only News of The World employee named has been Clive Goodman, a former reporter who was sent to jail for hacking in 2007.
The list is expected to be filed in court by August 30, and if some guy by the name of James Murdoch is on there, we wouldn’t be surprised at all.
NEXT PAGE >>