Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.
CBS, NBC Retract Navy Yard Shooter Reports (Politico / Dylan Byers on Media)
CBS News and NBC News retracted reports about the identification of the Washington Navy Yard shooter on Monday, just minutes after each network reported that the suspect in question was a Navy chief petty officer named Rollie Chance. CBS’ John Miller reported that Chance was a suspect before 1 p.m. on Monday. NBC News later reported the same information and continued to do so past 1 p.m., even after Miller reported that the initial reports about Chance were wrong. Finally, at 1:05 p.m., NBC political director Chuck Todd tweeted: “NBC News: we are now NOT reporting name of shooter; retracting that report. deleting those tweets.” HuffPost NBC’s Pete Williams said the error came from sources who found an ID card that looked like the suspected gunman. The false reports were perhaps the most prominent errors in a day filled with confusing and contradictory information. The shooter was later identified as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old from Fort Worth, Texas. Slate / Future Tense Deleting tweets doesn’t undo the damage. That said, Todd deserves at least some credit for continuing to report and tweet about how the mistake transpired. The Washington Post / Erik Wemple Given that other outlets reported the name, and that they subsequently turned out to have been right, what could CNN possibly have been waiting for? The Erik Wemple Blog put that question to CNN. Spokeswoman Edie Emery responded that the network didn’t go with story until “the FBI told CNN the name on the record.” Revolutionary. Had CBS News and NBC News followed that prescription earlier in the day, they wouldn’t have pushed the bogus name of a suspect into the public realm. The Washington Post / The Switch A section for finding the Navy Yard shooters on the popular online community Reddit has been banned. Reddit became a gathering place for amateur sleuthing in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing earlier this year, fueling what some reports called “online witch hunts” that resulted in some people being falsely identified as the bomber.
Posts Tagged ‘Telemundo’
To say thank you for a great year, we’re offering 15% OFF any boot camp, in-person course, or online course when you use code MBTHANKU. Choose from any of our exciting upcoming courses, from a copy editing class taught by the chief copy of Seventeen magazine, to an intro course for Excel. Hurry – offer expires 12/24! Browse our upcoming courses.
WNJU, Telemundo‘s New York local station, has appointed Jose Morales to oversee digital and broadcast content. Previously, Morales was Director of Digital Content for Telemundo Local Media and his work has won the network 2 Emmys, making him an ideal candidate to oversee the WNJU’s day to day operations.
Full press release after the jump.
Rumors, theories and conjectures have been swirling since The Wrap reported yesterday that a deal between cable provider Comcast and GE-owned NBC Universal “had already been completed at a purchase price of $35 billion.”
But reps from Comcast later told Bloomberg, “the report that Comcast has a deal to purchase NBC Universal is inaccurate.”
However, that same report revaled that “negotiations for Comcast to buy about 50 percent of NBC Universal have been under way for at least two months.” Such a deal would depend on whether French company Vivendi SA decides to sell its 20 percent stake in NBCU.
After the jump, what some people around the industry are saying about the possible deal.
Update: Our sister blog TVNewser has an email from NBCU CEO Jeff Zucker to employees. Of the future of Vivendi’s stake, Zucker said, “They have not yet made us aware of any final decisions about their future with us; should they choose to exit, there are a number of possible things that could happen.”