First on TVNewser: CBS Corp. CEO Les Moonves made a surprise appearance today at the regular noon meeting for the staff of the CBS Evening News. Insiders tell us Moonves, as well as CBS News & Sports president Sean McManus, EN EP Rick Kaplan and anchor Katie Couric all spoke to the assembled staffers.
After more than a week of reports about Couric’s supposed departure from the network, Moonves spent 10 to 15 minutes reiterating his pride in having Couric anchor the broadcast. And he thanked the staff for their continued hard work. Insiders quote Moonves as saying, Katie is our anchor today, tomorrow, next week and long into the future.
Couric thanked her staff for enduring the chatter about her future. This is “very much family here,” the anchor is quoted as saying.
• Related: HuffPo on ratings and a memoir…
- 'CBS This Morning' Surprises Gayle King With Early Birthday Celebration
- Megyn Kelly on White House Christmas Party: 'Boy oh Boy Did I See a Lot of MSNBC Anchors'
- How Scott Pelley Made It to Cuba Just in Time for 'The CBS Evening News'
- Bob Schieffer 'Stunned' Cuba News Wasn't Leaked: 'This is Just a Bombshell'