Among the shows, which all have working titles: “Keywords,” an Internet trivia game; “I Can Haz NewsToons,” a collection of social media’s best satirical cartoons; and “One.Click.Away,” stories behind online classifieds. HLN is also developing an app, “#WhatsYourFomo,” which was conceived by HLN staffers at its all-staff meeting in Atlanta last year.
“HLN is driving a development slate with a key goal in mind: debunk the myth that the world of social media is only about videos of cats riding skateboards,” Hecht said in a statement. “News that is shared can inspire a wide spectrum of programming and HLN’s ripped from the social media headlines approach will mirror what consumers are really doing digitally.”
Like Fusion, the recently-launched cable network from ABC News and Univision, HLN is targeting millennials. More in HLN’s release, after the jump.
NEWLY RE-BRANDED HLN ANNOUNCES INITIAL 2014 PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT SLATE
Series Contenders Keywords, I Can Haz NewsToons, One.Click.Away, Vacation Hunters, Videocracy and app #What’sYourFOMO in Development
HLN, rebranded in 2014 as the first TV home for the social media generation (millennials and the millennial-minded), unveils its initial program development slate using its new social media filter, it was announced by Albie Hecht, executive vice president and general manager, HLN.
“HLN is driving a development slate with a key goal in mind: debunk the myth that the world of social media is only about videos of cats riding skateboards,” said @AlbieHechtHLN. “News that is shared can inspire a wide spectrum of programming and HLN’s ripped from the social media headlines approach will mirror what consumers are really doing digitally.”
Following are the programs on HLN’s 2014 development slate (all working titles):
· Keywords—A game show of search and tag trivia for internet addicts. We put your browser history to the test by challenging you to guess a search term from five keyword clues. Celebrities, song lyrics, ailments, gifs, memes, photobombs—everything is fair game. Created by HLN program development.
· I Can Haz NewsToons—Finally, a place on TV for social media’s best satire cartoons. We’ll scour the internet to present the most original e-cards, caricatures and doodles, and for the first time bring people’s favorite political and social cartoonists from the world of print to TV. Produced and created by Fred Siebert (Adventure Time, Cartoon Hangover)
· One.Click.Away—The untold stories behind the online classifieds…the world’s biggest yard sale. Going beyond the hyperlinks, HLN digs into such stories as the unused wedding dress for sale on Craigslist and the people behind those strange and hilarious roommate ads. Online classifieds greatest stories are now just One Click Away. Created by John D. Williams Jr. (Author, former president of the National SCRABBLE Association)
· Vacation Hunters—One tweet, two vacation teams, one amazing vacation. Viewers send in a 140 character description and our two vacation adventurers, and their travel agent teams, compete against each other to stretch a vacation dollar as far as humanly possible…all for the cause of giving a user the vacation of a lifetime. Produced and created by Tom Lynch (South of Nowhere, The Secret World of Alex Mack)
· Videocracy—This series counts down the most talked about entertainment ripped from social media. Hosts and a team of panelists comment on the stories and the people creating the shared content we’re all talking about. Created by My Damn Channel, with Rob Barnett, Warren Chao and Charlie Singer executive producing.
· #What’sYourFomo—This app will collect your list of FOMO’s (Fear Of Missing Out) and guarantees that you never miss a thing. J-law gifs? Ugly sweaters? Lamping? Everything you are afraid to miss out on in one place. This app was conceived by HLN staff during its December 2013 offsite.
- TVNewsers Head to South by Southwest
- Robin Meade, 12 Years an HLN Anchor
- The Scoreboard: Tuesday, March 4
- The Scoreboard: Monday, March 3