Ray Suarez bid farewell to PBS’s “Newshour” last Friday. Suarez, who has been the show’s senior correspondent for more than 10 years, tells FoxNewsLatino why he left the show: “I felt like I didn’t have much of a future with the broadcast. (They) didn’t have much of a plan for me.”
The 56-year-old, who joined the “NewsHour” in 1999, said over the last couple of years his contributions to the broadcast were passed over and marginalized many times. He said decisions made recently by the company and new constrictions also played a part in his resignation — it just made it difficult to stay, he said.
“When you look at the prospects realistically, I was there 14 years,” Suarez said. “The responsibility, the high responsibility … had all been gradually taken away.”
The program continues to be in transition. Earlier this month the show’s production company, MacNeil-Leher Productions, decided to part ways with the program. Last month “Newshour” launched a weekend edition of the program, anchored by Hari Sreenivasan. In August, Judy Woodruff and Gwen Ifill were named co-anchors of the weekday program. And in June, the show laid off staff and closed down its domestic bureaus, citing a slowdown in corporate revenue and changing technologies.
“I love the people there,” Suarez tells FoxNews. “I think it’s important to have a strong news broadcast on public television. I was definitely doing important work. I am not sitting here regretting all that time, not at all.”