Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ) has released a report in collaboration with The Economist Group that looks at news consumption on mobile devices. The comprehensive study looks at the activities of 9,513 adults on tablets and smart phones, and their feelings about advertisements and paying for news. Though PEJ has already created its own infographic, they’re asking the public to come up with something better.
From Visual.ly’s site about the challenge:
How would you tell the story visually? What findings jump out at you that deserve an infographic of their own? Your infographic could relate to revenue findings, the differences between Android and Apple news users, the time of day different people use their devices, facets of the app-browser debate, or something else.
Here are some interesting highlights from the data:
- Of the 22% of U.S. adults who own a tablet, 64% of them get news on their tablet
- Of the 44% of U.S. adults who own a smartphone, 62% of them get their news on that device
- In 2012, the breakdown of tablet by brand was: 52% Apple iPad, 48% Android (21% of the Android devices were Kindle Fire)
- In 2012, 68% of tablet owners used their tablet daily (for 1 hour, 49 minutes on average)
- 31% of news users said they spend more time with news since getting a tablet device
- On tablets, 69% of users end up reading full articles when checking headlines
- 33% of digital subscribers added a new subscription with digital access since getting a tablet
All the data are available for download as a CSV file. You have until Oct. 31 to submit your design. The winner will be featured on PEJ’s website, The Economist’s Tumblr, Pinterest, and Facebook pages (over 1 million fans), and The Economist’s Graphic Detail blog.
- Digital Publishing Gets A Little Smarter (and Better Looking) With Matter's 2nd Round of Startups
- Your App is a "Walkie-Talkie" and You Need to Start Using It Like One
- Knight Foundation’s Prototype Fund Announces 24 New Projects
- Ready For An Upgraded New York Times (and Native Ads)?