The gift-giving season is finally upon us (or already over, if we’re talking Hannukah, and we’re really sorry about taking so long), and that means it’s time for the annual 10,000 Words Holiday Gift Guide, our favorite holiday tradition. Whether you need a stocking stuffer for a journo friend or are compiling your own list for the secret Santa in your life, we’ve got you covered.
And herewith, our favorite things this year:
1. Bamboo Solar Charger | Photojojo | $35
Recording interviews, videos and sending them back to the newsroom via data network is sure to drain your smartphone’s battery power. Never fear – this solar charger will make sure you never run out of juice in the field again.
2. Photojournalists on War | University of Texas Press | $43.55
For those fascinated with the lens through which photojournalists see combat, Photojournalists on War: The Untold Stories From Iraq by New York Times photographer Michael Kamber features poignant visuals and beautiful war stories from several esteemed photogs from around the country.
3. Tuned-In Knit Hat Headphones | Neato Shop | $29.95
4. Dictionary Quote Slip-Ons | TOMS | $54
For men and women who love words — which is all of us, right? These “Dictionary Quote” Toms boast words like “ineffable” and “benevolent,” making a fashionable statement while also showing off your smarty-pants-ness in the newsroom.
5. The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism | Amazon | $9.99 – $24.99
6. Wordie Wars | MentalFloss Store | $24.99
For the most diehard wordsmiths, ‘Wordie Wars’ claims to be a game to “stump even the brainiest of word nerds.” Challenge accepted!
7. ‘Liberal Media’ T-Shirt | Cafepress | $27.99
For the Rachel Maddow wannabe.
8. Pantone Christmas Ornament | Amazon | $15
Deck the halls with every Pantone color! The manufacturer also makes coffee mugs, too.
9. The New York Times Complete Front Pages (1851-2012) | Barnes & Noble | $17.98
10. ‘My Mommy is a Journalist’ Onesie | Cafepress | $ 16
11. ‘I Shoot People’ T-Shirt | Amazon | $13.99
12. Typewriter Flask | Etsy | $18.50
May we suggest filling it with some Scotchy Scotch Scotch?
13. ARKWHALE Weatherproof Bags | Fab | $13
14. Story War Party Game | Amazon | $25
15. Fear and Loathing in America: The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist | Amazon | $11.77
16. Newspaper Chic Big Hair Bow | Etsy | $4.50
17. ‘Cool Story, Bro’ Notepad | Amazon | $2.99
We’re pretty sure this is how Glenn Greenwald broke the Edward Snowden story.
18. The Digital Journalist’s Handbook | Amazon | $20.93
19. Rite in the Rain Kit | Amazon | $25.93
20. Grammar Police T-Shirt | MentalFloss | $24.99
21. Micro SD Covert Coin | Amazon | $19.99
22. Samsung Galaxy Gear SmartWatch | Amazon | $299
23. Imagine: Reporter Nintendo DS | Amazon | $19
24. Writer Business Cards | Zazzle | $23.95
25. Deadline Coffee Mug | CafePress | $12.99
- Should We Be Nicer to PR People?
- Do You Yo? And Should Your Newsroom Be Yo-ing?
- Last Call for Inquirer-Based Kickstarter Project, With Even Better Rewards
- Does Your Newsroom Throwback on Thursday?