R&B megastar Rihanna (@rihanna) has become the latest Twitter user to reach 10 million followers, passing the total on Saturday.
Rihanna joins Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, President Barack Obama, Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian, Britney Spears and Shakira as the eighth human, sixth woman and fifth female musical artist to become a member of Twitter’s 10 million club.
It took Rihanna 27 days to accumulate her last million followers.
Taylor Swift should be the next person to reach the eight-figure mark, likely just before Christmas. Twitter’s most-followed members list continues to skew heavily towards female celebrities – eight of the top 10 are women.
Meanwhile, Ashton Kutcher, the first user to reach one million followers on Twitter, has dropped out of the network’s top 10 most-followed profiles, replaced by Selena Gomez. It’s the latest in a series of personal and Twitter-related blows for Kutcher, whose star has slowly dimmed on the network after shining very brightly a couple of years back. And his troubles aren’t over yet, as he faces fierce competition for his 11th placing from Ellen Degeneres and Oprah Winfrey, who should both pass him before the end of the year.
At the time of writing, Twitter’s top-ten most followed users are:
1. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 16,425,213)
2. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 14,901,452)
3. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 12,491,526)
4. Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian, 11,563,052)
5. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 11,388,800)
6. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 11,326,837)
7. Shakira (@shakira, 10,802,237)
8. Rihanna (@rihanna, 10,073,974)
9. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 9,457,443)
10. Selena Gomez (@selenagomez, 8,603,871)
- 9 Risky Overshares From Twitter Celebrities
- Ellen's Oscar Selfie Is Now A Piece Of Art At Twitter HQ
- George Clooney: I Don't Tweet Because I Like To Have A Drink At Night
- Celebrities And Fans Pay Tribute To Uncle Phil On Twitter