Digital marketing exec Brian Honigman put together a handy list of 100 Fascinating Social Media Statistics and Figures From 2012 for the Huffington Post.
Obviously, the 20 nuggets of Twitter info were the ones that caught our eye. Take a peek, followed by our commentary:
Twitter Statistics From 2012
1. There were 175 million tweets sent from Twitter every day throughout 2012. (source: Infographics Labs)
2. The average Twitter user has tweeted 307 times. (source: Diego Basch’s Blog)
3. Since the dawn of Twitter, there’s been a total of 163 billion tweets. (source: Diego Basch’s Blog)
4. 56% of customer tweets to companies are being ignored. (sources: AllTwitter)
6. Top 3 countries on Twitter are the USA at 107 million, Brazil 33 million and Japan at nearly 30 million. (source: Jeff Bullas)
7. The average user follows (or is followed by) 51 people. (source: Diego Basch’s Blog)
8. The 2012 election broke records with 31.7 million political tweets. Election Day was by far the most tweeted about event in US political history. (source: Marketing Land)
9. 32% of all Internet users are using Twitter. (source: Marketing Land)
10. Twitter is projected to make a total of $540 million in advertising revenue by 2014. (source: Web Analytics World)
11. 69% of follows on Twitter are suggested by friends. (source: Web Analytics World)
12. In 2012, 1 million accounts have been added to Twitter everyday. (source: Infographics Labs)
13. Lady Gaga has 31 million followers, which is the most followed account on Twitter. (source:Socialbakers)
14. The most followed brand on Twitter is YouTube with 19 million followers. (source: All Twitter)
15. The USA’s 141.8 million accounts represents 27.4% of all Twitter users. (source: All Twitter)
16. The “Castle in the Sky” TV screening was the busiest time on Twitter ever with 25,088 tweets per second. (source: Sys-Con)
17. 11 accounts are created every second on Twitter. (source: Infographics Labs)
18. 50% of Twitter users are using the social network via mobile. (source: Microsoft tag)
19. 34% of marketers have generated leads using Twitter. (source: Digital Buzz Blog)
20. 26% of retweets are incited by a request to retweet. (source: Web Analytics World)
A few takeaways from these facts and figures: it’s especially critical for companies on Twitter to monitor mentions – what could be more frustrating than unanswered frustration about a product or service?; if you’re looking for more followers, tap into digital worth-of-mouth marketing tactics rather than randomly blasting out content; keep mobile optimization in mind with your tweets; and remember the simplest way to engage with your followers is to just ask!
No matter your level of social media expertise, it’s important to understand the data behind each major platform in order to make the most of it.
Check out the full article here.
(Bar graph image from Shutterstock)
- Twitter Average Ad Rates Declined By 18% In Q4 2013, Down 81% Since Q1 2012 [STATS]
- Tweets About The Oscars Were Seen 3.3 Billion Times Worldwide [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- The Oscars Gobbles Up The Walking Dead In Top 10 Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings [CHART]