In terms of recent Hollywood Reporter website history, the Holy Grail is two million or more unique daily visitors. That mark was reached for the first time on Monday February 25 (after the Oscars) and again this past Sunday July 14.
Reps for the trade tell FishbowlNY that the massive outpouring of grief and public interest in the tragic death of Glee star Cory Monteith led to a new all-time THR record of 2,080,000 unique daily visitors.
The three most viewed articles Sunday (east coast time) were all about the performer indelibly associated with the character of Finn Hudson. Starting with Lesley Goldberg’s exclusive confirmation of the terrible news, to which she was first tipped by THR website editor Chris Krewson:
1) “‘Glee’ Star Cory Monteith Dies at 31“
[1,490,792 page views]
2) “Cory Monteith’s 13 Best ‘Glee’ Performances“
[65,057 page views]
3) “Cory Monteith Death: ‘Glee’ Co-Stars, Hollywood Mourn the Actor“
[82,134 page views]
While Sunday’s numbers edged the previous Oscars Monday unique visitors total, they fell well short – at just over 3.9 million page views – of that day’s massive, slide show abetted total visits. Overall on Sunday, 39% of the day’s visits came via mobile devices.
RIP. Today’s autopsy results confirm the 31-year-old star’s sudden Saturday passing was the result of a mixed drug toxicity involving alcohol and heroin.
[Photo of Monteith at LAX: worldswildlifewonders/Shutterstock.com]
- Mel Gibson's Unlikely New Ally: A Female Journalist
- Sandy Koufax Still Won't Reveal What He Did on Yom Kippur in 1965
- Chronicle Pair Offer Visiting Journalists a Ten-Step Article Template
- ESPN Source: Knicks-Phil Jackson Deal is 'Pretty Much Done'