CBS News released a statement tonight about a recent “60 Minutes” story.
Lara Logan‘s report on the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya on the Sunday, Oct. 27 broadcast relied on the eyewitness account of Dylan Davies, a British security contractor at the time, who went by the name Morgan Jones for the CBS report, and as the author of a book on the subject.
What he told Logan and what he writes in his book, differs from an official incident report.
Earlier this week, Logan defended her report, but just before 8pmET tonight, CBS News sent out this statement on the matter:
60 MINUTES has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound. We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction.
The inconsistencies in the stories have led to calls for a retraction, and for fresh Congressional hearings to determine what really happened that night.
- James Brown: 'I Challenge the NFL Community and All Men' to Confront Domestic Violence
- Steve Capus: Not in Scott Pelley's 'DNA' to Simply Show Up and 'Have Presence'
- With Ray Rice News, James Brown and Scott Pelley Kick-Off Thursday Night Football
- Steve Capus: 'I'm Very, Very Happy To Have This Be My Professional Home These Days'