Back in February we reported that Selena Gomez had become the tenth member of Twitter’s 10 million club, joining other luminaries such as Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Katy Perry as Twitter profiles who could boast 10 or more million followers.
Club membership is now up to 14, with Nicki Minaj, Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneres all reaching 10 million followers in the past few weeks. But what about brands? Are there any brands on Twitter that can boast an eight-figure follower count?
Yes, there’s one: YouTube.
Unlike Facebook, where the top three most-Liked Pages are all brands (and Facebook themselves are very much at the top of the pile), when it comes to the double-edged sword of ‘most popular’, Twitter skews heavily towards individuals, with eighteen of the network’s top twenty most-followed users being celebrity profiles, and this ratio continues as you move down the table.
(While you could certainly argue that celebrities and, dare I say it, everybody is essentially representing their own brand on the internet, and particularly within social media, for the purposes of this article I’m sticking with the tried and true definition of a brand, which means the individuals, bands, TV shows etc will not be included.)
YouTube stands alone as the only brand with more than 10 million followers, some distance ahead of the official @Twitter account, which is 1.4 million followers behind. Only a few hundred thousand behind @Twitter, Twitter’s official Spanish account (@twitter_es) rounds out the top three. Indeed, it’s only in the past couple of weeks that @Twitter has moved above its Spanish brethren in total followers – for a long time it wasn’t even the most popular Twitter profile.
Collectively, these two accounts have some 17+ million fans, so you could argue that Twitter is still the number one brand on Twitter, even if, on a per-profile basis, YouTube holds that title.
So, without further delay, here are the top 10 most-followed brands on Twitter.
- YouTube (@YouTube, 10,259,054 followers)
- Twitter (@twitter, 8,856,790)
- Twitter en español (@twitter_es, 8,480,198)
- CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk, 6,923,605)
- TwitPic (@TwitPic, 6,615,838)
- UberSocial (@UberSoc, 5,826,875)
- The New York Times (@nytimes, 4,700,907)
- NBA (@NBA, 4,525,421)
- Google (@google, 4,465,778)
- E! Online (@eonline, 4,267,255)
- Twitter's Next Milestone: 300 Million Active Users Before 2015 [CHART]
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]