By now you’ve probably heard of Stephen Covey’s passing. The bestselling author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People passed away at the age of 79 so in turn, this post is dedicated to his life’s work.
1. Be proactive. He wrote, “Your life doesn’t just “happen.” Whether you know it or not, it is carefully designed by you. The choices, after all, are yours. You choose happiness. You choose sadness. You choose decisiveness. You choose ambivalence. You choose success. You choose failure…”
2. Begin with the end in mind. In other words, work backwards. If you’re training for a marathon, you think about the finish line and prepare your mind and body to reach that point, right? When it comes to the job search and upward mobility in your career, this mindset will take you far.
3. Put first things first. Learn to say no. “To live a more balanced existence, you have to recognize that not doing everything that comes along is okay. There’s no need to overextend yourself. All it takes is realizing that it’s all right to say no when necessary and then focus on your highest priorities,” Covey wrote.
4. Think win-win. It’s not an all or nothing mentality or I win, you lose mindset either. In fact, it’s cooperative state of mind that seeks “mutual benefit in all human interactions.” Covey also indicated, “We both get to eat the pie, and it tastes pretty darn good!”
5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. The key communication skill underscored here? Listening.
6. Synergize. Again, creative cooperation is key as is teamwork. This point sums up creating new solutions to problems that previously existed. Covey indicated it doesn’t just happen effortlessly: It’s a process.
7. Sharpen the saw. Do the best with the resources you’ve been given. This habit reflects upon your own assets in creating a balanced life within four aspects: Physical, social/emotional, mental and spiritual.
May he rest in peace.
- Three Tips to Standing Out at Holiday Parties
- Three Ways to Build Your Mental Strength
- Three Ways to Bounce Back from Your Less Than Stellar Office Holiday Party Behavior
- Security Guards Lose Jobs After Taking Photos With Tom Brady