As you unwrap gifts and get ready to wrap up the year in the office, you may be one of the few who are actually working next week. Or maybe you’re stuck in the office today watching the clock until you can make a quick escape into holiday bliss.
Whatever the case, chances are you have some downtime at work before the new year kicks in. Here are a few ways to make the most of it.
1. Organize your in-box. We know sometimes the in box overflows but what better time to tackle your e-mails than when the workload itself eases up? It’s certainly time to think about beginning the year with a clean slate. Create folders, set up rules, get into the habit of cleaning out that box.
2. Sort through old invoices or timesheets. If the calendar year-end also marks the fiscal year-end at your employer, it’s definitely time to make your timesheet with expenses a priority. Maybe you took a client out to lunch in October an haven’t expensed it yet or maybe there’s a vendor bill that’s been sitting on your desk because you need the proper code. Sure, these items tend to fall to the bottom of the to do list but there’s no time like the present to seize them and get them off your list once and for all.
3. Take stock in the past year. All too often we motor ahead and fail to recognize our achievements, big and small. Perhaps you wrote a piece you were really proud of this year or connected with a source who has been valuable at a moment’s notice. Sometimes we’re caught up in chasing deadlines that we don’t have time to sit back and think about a job well done. Also, you may want to outline specific accomplishments in a note to yourself so when it’s performance review time, you will have a steady stream of jobs well done at your fingertips.
4. Set new goals. With the new year comes new goals so there’s no better time to create them. Sara Sutton Fell, CEO and founder of FlexJobs, told Forbes, “Write these down and post them where you’ll see them regularly, either in your office at work or even on your refrigerator at home.”
- Need Inspiration? Here's a Blast From the Past With Amy Poehler's Harvard Speech
- Mediabistro.com Job Board Announces Another Big Winner
- Weekend Habits of Highly Successful People: Log Off on Weekends and Do Six Other Things...
- Three Ways to Let Others See Your True Potential