Want to guess what ranks highest for employee importance aside from title and salary? According to more than 3,900 full-time employees nationwide, it’s a flexible schedule.
After that, employees surveyed by CareerBuilder recently indicated it’s the ability to make a difference, followed by the ability to work from home, academic reimbursement, having an office and company car.
About one-fourth of employees surveyed revealed that special perks are a great motivator for employers to drive retention. The perks speak for themselves:
1) Half-day Fridays – 40 percent
2) On-site fitness center – 20 percent
3) Ability to wear jeans – 18 percent
4) Daily catered lunches – 17 percent
5) Massages – 16 percent
6) Nap room – 12 percent
7) Rides to and from work – 12 percent
8) Snack cart that comes around the office – 8 percent
9) Private restroom – 7 percent
10) On-site daycare – 6 percent
Although an on-site gym may not necessarily be the sole reason for an employee to want to stay at his or her job, the majority (70 percent) reported that higher salaries are the quintessential way to increase retention.
About 58 percent of respondents indicated better benefits are another strong determining factor. Other employees pointed to a variety of ways to decrease voluntary turnover: Providing flexible schedules, increasing employee recognition, and asking employees what they want/putting feedback into action.
According to the press release, Rosemary Haefner, vice-president of Human Resources at CareerBuilder, stated, “What determines job satisfaction is not a one-size-fits-all, but flexibility, recognition, the ability to make a difference and yes, even special perks, can go a long way.”
She added, “Being compensated well will always be a top consideration, but we’re seeing work-life balance, telecommuting options and learning opportunities outweigh other job factors when an employee decides whether to stay with an organization.”
- Want to Boost Happiness? Survey Suggests Stop Looking at the Clock
- Morgan Spurlock on 'We the Economy' & His Greatest Lesson Learned
- Quit Your Job to Pursue Your Side Hustle? Shark Tank's Daymond John Weighs In
- Tough Monday Got You Down? Celebrate National Coffee Day!