CNN rose to #2 in primetime in both total viewers and the A25-54 demo in Q3 2014, edging out MSNBC by a razor-thin 1,000 total viewers in primetime. For the second quarter in a row, CNN was second in in total day viewers, also rising to No. 2 in the total day demo.
The ratings for Q3, 2014:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 553K Total Viewers / 185K A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 447K Total Viewers / 134K A25-54
Compared to Q3 2013, CNN was up +6% in viewers and flat in the demo for total day. In primetime, the net was up +2% in viewers and down -3% in the demo. “Anderson Cooper 360” led the way for CNN’s daily programs, up +6% in total viewers and up +9% in the demo. At 9pmET, which featured both an extended hour of “AC360″ and original programming, CNN is up +3% in viewers and up +21% in the demo year-over-year. Last year, “Piers Morgan Live” ran in the timeslot.
CNN’s original series, “The Sixties,” which ended its weekly Thursday run during the quarter, was the network’s highest-rated program in total viewers, drawing 650,000 viewers. Several daytime programs were down double digits in the A25-54 demo: “Legal View with Ashleigh Banfield” (down -20%), “Wolf” (down -17%), and “CNN Newsroom” (2pmET and 3pmET; down -16%, -13%, respectively).
CNN is claiming back-to-back quarterly wins over MSNBC (second to Fox News) in primetime demo viewers. They are using a blend of Nielsen data, which is explained in their press release after the jump.