• Do you want the “Meet the Press” job? “There’s no right answer to that question. … I don’t know if I want the job. Nobody’s talked to me about it. I looked up to Tim. It is the preeminent show but you’ve got to be a great interrogator … Who wants to be the idiot who follows in Tim’s shows. Not only that, but you have to follow in Tim’s shoes and now Tom [Brokaw]‘s shoes?”
• On NBC, post-Russert: “To me, it’s an excuse. I don’t want to excuse any issues going on and say, ‘If Tim was here, there wouldn’t be any problem.’ You can’t keep doing that. It’s like when you lose a loved one, there’s only so often you can use that as an excuse, come home late at night, ‘I blew through my curfew, Mom, I was getting drunk and didn’t care.’ You have to sober up and take responsibility for yourself.”
• No one at NBC has asked him to take his goatee off. “I’ve had somebody send me a shaving kit.”
- Exclusives That Aren't: Ashoka Mukpo Speaks With CNN, After Speaking With NBC
- Lester Holt Thanks Jimmy Fallon For ‘Dateline’ Shout Outs
- Morning in Prime: Norah O’Donnell on 'Blue Bloods;’ Al Roker Cut From 'Mysteries'
- Josh Elliott Fills in on 'Today' Show