With as many 30,000 more U.S. troops preparing for a deployment to Afghanistan, FishbowlDC’s Matt Dornic chatted up Atia Abawi, the Virginia-bred CNN correspondent now based in Afghanistan. A portion:
Is it more difficult to do your job as a woman?
No, exactly the opposite. Being a female has worked to my advantage because the men are not intimidated and the women will talk to me. But it also helps that I speak the language. As the Afghan people grow more agitated with Westerners, they have become hesitant to speak to the media — especially through interpreters for fear that their words will be misconstrued.
• FishbowlDC: From Kabul to the Fishbowl
- Don Lemon Hip Hop Artist Interview Devolves Into Media Debate, Claims of Anchor Disrespect
- Protestor Interrupts Anderson Cooper's Interview with Trayvon Martin's Mother
- CNN Removes iReport Saying Missouri Patrol Captain is Gang Member
- Are TV News Anchors Blurring the Line Between Reporting and Opinion in Ferguson?