AP Newsalerts from Kailua, Hawaii. The first at 5:01pmET:
• Obama leaves golf abruptly for ‘personal matter’; ambulance speeds to first family’s compound.
• White House: First family ok; family friend injured at first family’s compound. No details about the cause of injuries.
CNN reported the alert with Ed Henry in Honolulu at 5:08pmET. Chuck Todd had a brief live report at 5:18pm during “Hardball” and Steve Centanni was live for Fox News at 5:42pm during a live shot that had its own complications when a light stand was blown over, nearly hitting Centanni. But his cameraman caught the stand, and Centanni continued with the live report.
The NYT’s The Caucus blog reports the son of an Obama family friend required stitches after being hit by a surfboard.
- Carney: White House TV Correspondents 'Tend to Play for the Cameras'
- Would Jim Lehrer Moderate Another Debate? 'No, No, No, A Thousand Times, No'
- Jorge Ramos Asks Hillary Clinton: 'Do You Think You Have a Latino Problem?'
- Hillary Clinton Acknowledges She'll Have to 'Work on' Media Expectations