TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘Lara Logan’

Lara Logan Back on CBS

Lara Logan made her first appearance on CBS News since her on-air apology in November over a botched “60 Minutes” report on the U.S. Consulate attack in Benghazi in 2012. Later that month, following the results of an internal report, Logan took a leave of absence. A CBS News insider told us last week that Logan has been walking the halls and working the phones and on “Face the Nation,” Sunday she discussed the worsening situation in Iraq. “Perhaps, nobody at CBS News has spent more time in Iraq over the years, since the first Gulf War, than Lara Logan,” said Bob Schieffer in his introduction. WATCH:

Mediabistro Course

Social Media 101

Social Media 101Get hands-on social media training for beginners in our online boot camp, Social Media 101. Starting September 4, social media and marketing experts will help you determine the social media sites that matter most to you, based on your personal and professional goals. Hurry, this boot camp starts next week! Register now! 
 

Lara Logan Returns to CBS News

lara-logan Lara Logan is back at work after a forced leave of absence from CBS News, a network spokesperson confirms to TVNewser. News of her return was first reported by the AP’s David Bauder.

Logan was asked to take a leave of absence in November after a flawed  “60 Minutes” report about 9/11/12 Benghazi attack. Logan’s report was centered around an interview with Dylan Davies, a man who claimed to have been a witness of the attacks; it was later revealed that he had not been present that night. In retracting the story, Logan said “we were misled and we were wrong.”

An internal review of the report found it to be “deficient in several respects.”

Although initial reports said Logan was slated to return to the network in early 2014, her leave of absence was nearly seven months long. “60 Minutes” is currently off-season and will return with new episodes in the fall.

‘The Proverbial Perfect Storm’ of Lara Logan’s Benghazi Report

LaraLogan304In an in-depth report for New York magazine, Joe Hagan pieces together “the proverbial perfect storm” that led to Lara Logan‘s now-infamous Benghazi report on “60 Minutes” last year. The piece focuses on Jeff Fager‘s leadership of “60 Minutes,” as well as Logan’s rapid rise at CBS News, reportedly orchestrated in part because CBS chairman Les Moonves saw her “steely eyes, breathless delivery, and exotic accent as the raw material of a future star.”

Logan “delivered the kind of muscular reports that inoculated CBS against charges of a leftist agenda following the Rather incident, especially valuable in the patriotic climate after 9/11,” Hagan writes:

As Logan rose, however, Fager was left to manage the risk inherent in Moonves’s asset. Logan had a zealousness that could cross the line into recklessness, a confidence that could come off as arrogance. A common view among current and former colleagues (keeping in mind that not-for-attribution backbiting and Schadenfreude are a stock-in-trade of TV news) is that Logan’s star power blinded her superiors to her flaws. “She got everything she wanted, always, even when she was wrong, and that’s been going on since the beginning,” says a former CBS News producer who worked with her.  Read more

How the Evening Newscasts Reported the New Benghazi Emails

ABCBenghazi“CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley” was the only evening newscast last night to not cover newly uncovered emails from White House adviser Ben Rhodes, which provided talking points to former U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice before her Sunday show interviews several days after the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya in Sept., 2012.

Rhodes’ email to Rice advised her to stress that the Benghazi attacks were rooted in a controversial YouTube video, “and not a broader failure of policy.”

CBS did cover the emails 10 hours earlier on “CBS This Morning.” White House Correspondent Bill Plante also mentioned that Ben Rhodes is the brother of CBS News President David Rhodes. A CBS News spokesperson also says Plante reported the news on CBS News Radio and CBSNews.com, adding, “There also was a thorough editorial discussion about it at ‘CBS Evening News’ and David Rhodes was not involved.”

ABC’s Jonathan Karl, who got into a heated exchange with White House Press Secretary Jay Carney over the emails, reported a 2-minute story for “World News with Diane Sawyer,” while “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” produced a :30 voice-over story on the emails.

CBS Evening News has been criticized for not aggressively covering the Benghazi story. Last May, now former CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson, said “there hasn’t been an appetite” for the stories she offered on Benghazi. CBS launched an internal review after Lara Logan‘s discredited Benghazi report on “60 Minutes” last October. Logan remains off the show.

The new Rhodes emails first hit the Web on Monday published by JudicialWatch.org. The story started getting traction on Fox News on Tuesday and on CNN and MSNBC on Wednesday.

N.S. Bienstock Acquired by United Talent Agency

BienstockN.S. Bienstock, one of the nation’s biggest and most well-known agencies for TV news talent, has been acquired by United Talent Agency (UTA). Bienstock agents represent more than 600 TV news anchors, reporters and producers including Bill O’Reilly, Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts, Megyn Kelly, Bob Scheiffer, Norah O’Donnell, David Muir, Glenn Beck, and Lara Logan.

N.S. Bienstock founders and co-presidents Richard Leibner and Carole Cooper will remain co-presidents of the company, managing day-to-day operations.

“Aligning with UTA and utilizing their global reach and resources while still retaining our personal touch is a significant step forward in the growth and evolution of N.S. Bienstock,” says Leibner.

UTA represents talent from the worlds of movies, television, digital media, video games, books, music and theatre. UTA will now be the largest agency in the TV news space.

Nate Bienstock started N.S. Bienstock in the 1940s as a life insurance business. His client list included a number of journalists, including Walter Cronkite and Eric Sevareid. Richard Leibner’s father Sol, bought into (and later bought) the business and, as TV news began to take off, Richard Liebner began negotiating contracts for clients. Liebner married Carole Cooper in 1964. She joined the firm and became an agent in 1976.

Full news release after the jump…

Read more

The Ticker: Byers, Wemple, CNN International

  • The Washington Post’s Erik Wemple recently followed a whole day of MSNBC daytime. He reports hours of repetition featuring “politics, more politics and more, more politics.”

  • CNN International is launching “One Square Meter” on its Middle East channels. The new program will look at real estate trends in emerging markets.

The 10 Biggest TV News Stories of 2013

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 11.51.18 PM

How to describe a year in which TV news had more turnovers than Pepperidge Farm? Business as usual.

The dramatic departures and arrivals of A-List talent weren’t the only big story of 2013, of course. Two new networks launched. Fox News made some major changes in its prime-time lineup. Serious health issues affected at least three anchors. And CBS’s venerable ‘Sunday Morning’ continued to kick ass on the Sabbath.

Herewith my choices for TV news’ Top 10, in no particular order:

Open mouth, insert foot.

Hosts Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin both left MSNBC after making what could charitably be called offensive comments.

On his November 15 broadcast, Bashir suggested that someone should defecate in the mouth of ex-vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin because of remarks she had made about slavery. Instead, it was Bashir who was forced to eat doo-doo. He resigned Dec. 4.

Actor-activist Baldwin hit the bricks Nov. 26, two weeks after he was caught on video calling a paparazzi a ‘cocksucking fag.’ His weekly show, ‘Up Late,’ lasted exactly five episodes. Maybe replacing ‘Lockup’ was bad karma.

Lara’s theme.

Ace ’60 Minutes’ correspondent Lara Logan was forced to take a leave of absence after her October 27 piece on the Benghazi attack was discredited. Politico says she’ll return early next month. CBS isn’t talking.

A CBS internal inquiry labeled Logan’s report ‘deficient in several respects.’ Among them: Over a full year’s reporting, she and her team somehow missed the fact that her major source, security contractor Dylan Davies, was a liar. Oops.

In a dubious distinction, Logan’s story led to ‘60’ winning Poynter’s Error of the Year award. If you call that winning.

A pair of newbies.

While other networks endured layoffs, two new cable channels debuted — Al Jazeera America on August 20 and Fusion on October 28.

AJA hired hundreds of journalists and staff – including many from U.S. networks. Among them: CNN chief business correspondent Ali Velshi, its first big-name hire; CNN International’s Joie Chen; MSNBC exile David Shuster and NBC’s John Seigenthaler.

AJA, whose corporate parent is based in Qatar, boasts 12 domestic bureaus and three broadcast centers. It reaches about 48 million homes.

Fusion, a joint production of Disney-ABC and Univision, features news and pop-culture fare targeted at English-speaking millenials. Based outside of Miami, it represents Univision’s first major foray into English-language programming.

Would you like your anchors scrambled or poached?

Read more

Report: Lara Logan to Return to ’60 Minutes’ Early Next Year

lara logan benghazi reportPOLITICO is reporting that Lara Logan and producer Max McClellan will return to “60 Minutes” in early 2014.

Logan was placed on a leave of absence after her October 27 Benghazi report was discredited and a CBS internal report found the story “deficient in several respects.”

CBS News Chairman and EP of “60 Minutes” Jeff Fager held a meeting with show staffers on December 5, according to POLITICO, where he answered questions about the botched report and indicated he didn’t know how long Logan and her producer would be off-air. Read more

Dan Rather: ‘CBS News Has a Lot to Answer For’ Over Benghazi Report

Dan Rather — who recently accused CBS News of “trying to airbrush me out of their history” — thinks the network still has some explaining to do over Lara Logan‘s “60 Minutes” Benghazi report.

“CBS News has a lot to answer for this. There’s a lot of questions, and they’ve answered some of them. I don’t want to add to their burden,” Rather told Piers Morgan on CNN last night. “I know what it feels like to be the correspondent who’s the center of the controversy … but I will make this point: with our story, the one that led to our difficulty, no question the story was true. What the complaint was, and eventually most of us lost our jobs, was ‘okay your story was true, but the way you got to the truth was flawed.’ That’s not the case with this Benghazi story.” Watch:

[h/t The Wire]

Brian Stelter: CNN’s offer was ‘Irresistible’

BrianStelter“I would not leave the Times for a television job” doesn’t occupy the same pantheon as “Read my lips, no new taxes” or “I never had sex with that woman,” but it still presents a bit of sticky wicket for Brian Stelter, who debuts Sunday as host of CNN’s ‘Reliable Sources.’

In late July, Stelter told The Washington Post that he wouldn’t quit his day job as media reporter for The New York Times if he were chosen to succeed longtime ‘Reliable Sources’ host Howard Kurtz, now with Fox News. During his CNN tenure, Kurtz had juggled full-time jobs elsewhere with his ‘Reliable Sources’ gig.

So what prompted Stelter’s change of heart?

“I meant it when I said it,” he says. “Everyone at CNN imagined that the next host would be part-time.“ After Stelter’s third stint as guest host, however, “a part-time job became a full-time job. I had never imagined what CNN sketched out, and it was very appealing.”

In addition to hosting the weekly ‘Reliable Sources,’ senior media correspondent Stelter files daily for cnn.com and does live hits on other CNN shows. Had it been a full-time anchor job, he wouldn’t have been as interested.

“I’m a writer and reporter at heart,” says Stelter, 28, who as a college freshman created the site that became tvnewser. “I think I can become more of an expert in the field by writing and reporting than I can by anchoring. It’s how I’ve grown up. I fell in love with print.”

As luck would have it, two big media stories broke on Stelter’s first day on the job last week — Lara Logan’s forced leave of absence from CBS and Alec Baldwin’s dismissal from MSNBC. Stelter did four live hits and wrote a story for the website.

He hasn’t stopped since. Stelter left for L.A. late yesterday to tape an interview today with ubiquitous TV/radio host-producer Ryan Seacrest. Stelter labels him as “a king of media” and “one of the highest-profile media makers in the world.” He hopes to run the piece Sunday.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>