TVNewser Show TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘Michael Clemente’

Maria Bartiromo’s Fox News Sunday Show Premiering This Sunday

Maria Bartiromo‘s Fox News Sunday show, “Sunday Morning Futures,” will debut this Sunday, March 30 at 10amET, Fox News announced today.

Bartiromo will interview business leaders and newsmakers on economic topics like job creation and investment opportunities, with the goal of preparing viewers for their financial future. She spoke to TVNewser last week about the upcoming Fox News show, suggesting it will fill a void on Sunday mornings, adding business figures to the political pundit mix (watch below).

“Maria’s renowned expertise covering financial markets, job forecasts and the economy has helped define her as one of the finest business journalists in the industry, and I am confident she will bring even greater value to FOX News Channel’s weekend programming,” said Michael Clemente, Fox News Executive Vice President of News.

Bartiromo debuted as host of “Opening Bell” on Fox Business one month ago.

Mediabistro Event

TVNewser Show Coming to NYC on April 29!

TVNewser ShowThe TVNewser Show Seminar & Media Job Fair will explore the way TV business and technologies are changing through informative panels and discussions with industry experts. Attendees will also have the opportunity to network with other like-minded professionals at the event's exclusive media job fair. Register before midnight on April 28 to save on on-site pricing!

The Ticker: Bourdain, ’60 Minutes,’ Menendez

  • Sunday’s episode of “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown” was the show’s second highest-rated episode of the season, averaging 639,000 total viewers and 304,000 A25-54 viewers. The show was number one in the 9pmET timeslot Sunday.

  • “60 Minutes” was in the top 10 shows of the week for the third time in five weeks. The show had 15.8 million total viewers and a 4.3/09 in the A25-54 demographic, ranking #4 in total viewers and #8 in the demo.

  • The Washington Post profiles “a voice for the millennials,” Fusion’s Alicia Menendez.I feel like there are conversations I have all the time about choices before us,” Menandez says. “Whether to believe in marriage as an institution. Whether to buy a home. Whether to participate in an election.”

George Will Jumps From ABC to Fox News

GWillPolitical columnist and author George Will is joining Fox News as a contributor, executive vice president of news Michael Clemente announced today. Will jumps to Fox News after more than 30 years at ABC News, where he was a political commentator and panelist for “This Week.”

“We are delighted to have someone of George’s stature join FOX News. His wisdom is enduring and his achievements are far too long to list,” Clemente said in a statement.

“As all his readers know, George is brilliant. Those of us lucky enough to work with him also know that he’s a consummate gentleman,” George Stephanopoulos told TVNewser in a statement. “I learned from him every week, and wish him all good things.”

He will appear across all FNC programming, including as a panelist on “Special Report with Bret Baier” and “Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.”

Dennis Kucinich, Greg Palkot Interview Syria’s Bashar al-Assad for Fox News

On Sept. 7, Fox News Channel contributor and former Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) told his bosses at Fox News that he was confident he could get an interview with Syrian Pres. Bashar al-Assad. Kucinich, in his capacity as a member of Congress, had met Assad before.

Fox News then had to decide how to produce an interview, using an interviewer who isn’t a journalist, but rather a politician-turned-pundit. So they called up Greg Palkot, FNC’s Senior Foreign Affairs correspondent.  “I decided that Kucinich should pursue the interview, on condition that FOX News journalists would also be included,” says Fox News EVP Michael Clemente.

Fast-forward 10 days, to yesterday. Kucinich and Palkot are side-by-side, while Clemente is in a control room in the Syrian Presidential Palace (set up temporarily, we’re told, as Assad has been giving several interviews of late). While Fox News used a Syrian camera crew, Clemente says the interview “was conducted with no restrictions on the questions that could be asked.”

News of the interview was first reported by British journalists in Syria, including ITV’s Bill Neely. A few hours later Atlantic Wire wondered: “It’s interesting that Fox News sent Kucinich to interview Assad and not, say, their hard news front man Chris Wallace.”

Clemente straightens that out: “Kucinich was not there in the capacity of a journalist nor was he representing Fox News in that role,” he says.

The interview will air tonight in a 2-hour “Special Report with Bret Baier.” The interview will run from 6:30-7:30pmET followed by analysis from Stephen Hayes, Charles Krauthammer and Juan Williams.

Chris Wallace to Brian Kilmeade: ‘How Do You Live With Yourself?’ After Toddler Incident

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace called into “Fox & Friends” co-host Brian Kilmeade‘s radio show. The only topic of conversation: Kilmeade’s errant basketball pass, which smacked two-year old Titus Ashby in the face, causing him to break down and cry.

“How do you live with yourself? I mean, how do you get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror?” Wallace asked Kilmeade incredulously. “You threw the ball straight into his face, and the two-year old burst into tears.”

Kilmeade proceeded to read from an email he received from Fox News executive VP of news Michael Clemente regarding the incident.

WATCH:


(h/t Johnny $)

Fox News: ‘We Will Unequivocally Defend’ Rosen Against ‘Chilling’ DOJ Investigation

Fox News executive VP of news Michael Clemente released the following statement to TVNewser with regard to James Rosen being targeted by the Department of Justice.

“We are outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter. In fact, it is downright chilling. We will unequivocally defend his right to operate as a member of what up until now has always been a free press.”

Clemente’s statement comes as The New Yorker‘s Ryan Lizza uncovers the full warrant application, which makes it seem as though the FBI is interested in investigating Rosen as much as it is interested in investigating Rosen’s source. Chilling indeed.

On “America Live,” Megyn Kelly revealed that two other Fox News staffers were targeted for investigation by the DOJ on stories unrelated to Rosen’s. Videos after the jump.
Read more

DOJ Also Targeted Fox News Reporter James Rosen

The Washington Post goes into great detail looking into how the Department of Justice investigates leaks by targeting journalists, by revealing that the DOJ targeted Fox News correspondent James Rosen following a report back in 2009.

The AP made waves last week after it was revealed that the DOJ targeted the personal and professional phone lines of hundreds of journalists in an apparent attempt to determine who leaked information.

Rosen’s case is a bit different, because he was targeted specifically and because he was identified as possibly breaking the law, nonetheless, the actions of the DOJ do have a chilling effect on journalists across all media organizations. Even Glenn Greenwald, hardly a fan of Fox News (or U.S. TV news generally), called the move “dangerous.

PM Update: Fox News executive VP of news editorial Michael Clemente has released a statement with regard to Rosen.

More: Brit Hume appeared on FNC to talk about the incident. Video after the jump.

In the exchange, Rosen used the alias “Leo” to address Kim and called himself “Alex,” an apparent reference to Alexander Butterfield, the man best known for running the secret recording system in the Nixon White House, according to the affidavit.

Rosen instructed Kim to send him coded signals on his Google account, according to a quote from his e-mail in the affidavit: “One asterisk means to contact them, or that previously suggested plans for communication are to proceed as agreed; two asterisks means the opposite…

Read more

Did Fox News Ban Gun Control Segments After Newtown Shooting?

In the aftermath of Friday’s school shooting in Newtown, New York‘s Gabe Sherman reports that Fox News producers were instructed this weekend not to wade into the politics of gun control on the air:

According to sources, David Clark, the executive producer in charge of Fox’s weekend coverage, gave producers instructions not to talk about gun-control policy on air. “This network is not going there,” Clark wrote one producer on Saturday night, according to a source with knowledge of the exchange. The directive created a rift inside the network. According to a source, one political panelist e-mailed Clark that Bloomberg was booked on Meet the Press to talk about gun control. Clark responded, “We haven’t buried the children yet, we’re not discussing it.” During the weekend, one frustrated producer went around Clark to lobby Michael Clemente, Fox’s executive vice-president for news editorial, but Clemente upheld the mandate. “We were expressly forbidden from discussing gun control,” the source said.

But according to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox News insiders say Clark’s email has been taken “wildly out of context”:

A cursory look at the programming that Fox News aired over the weekend indicates that gun-control was a topic at least five times, including a lengthy discussion between host Chris Wallace and a Democratic lawmaker followed by Wallace with a Republican lawmaker.

And sources say the initial email from Clark was not the network-wide edict it has been portrayed as, but an email to three people concerning a panel discussion on one show.

The initial email from Clark to three panelists reads: “Gentlemen, it is too soon to talk the politics of gun control. The victims’ families still don’t even have the bodies of their loved ones. Let’s leave it for another time. Thanks.”

In addition to two “Fox News Sunday” segments, gun control was discussed on “Fox & Friends” and a Sunday night special report, anchored by Bret Baier, over the weekend. The “FNS” panel discussion is after the jump. Read more

Roger Ailes, George Stephanopoulos, Tom Brokaw and Arianna Huffington Turn Out for CURE

Obama campaign senior adviser David Axelrod spent his final night with his mustache at New York’s Four Seasons Restaurant raising awareness — and money — for epilepsy research. Axelrod and his wife Susan hosted many Manhattan luminaries at the CURE New York reception at which Mayor Mike Bloomberg was presented an award for his support. In his brief remarks, Bloomberg caught sight of NBC’s Tom Brokaw in the crowd: “There’s Tom Brokaw. He’s my neighbor …. and my golf partner. Maybe he’ll even give me a few strokes next round.”

TVNewser spotted Fox News chairman Roger Ailes giving a warm hello to Susan Axelrod and Arianna Huffington as David Axelrod gave his remarks. The Axelrods established CURE: Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy as the family struggled to come to terms with their daughter Lauren’s epilepsy. Now 31, Lauren experienced her first seizure at seven months old.

We chatted with “CBS This Morning” anchor Charlie Rose, who, with his co-hosts Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell, is treating the “This Morning” staff to a holiday party next week. “It takes two jobs to be able to do it, but we’ll do it,” joked Rose, who also hosts “Charlie Rose” on PBS and Bloomberg TV.

Also at the event, organized for the most part by Tammy Haddad: “Good Morning America” and “This Week” anchor George Stephanopoulos and his wife Ali Wentworth, ABC political analyst

Read more

Fox News: Tom Ricks Apologized For Comments. Ricks: No, I Didn’t

Yesterday we noted an interview which saw veteran war journalist Tom Ricks accuse Fox News of “hyping” the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, and FNC cutting his interview short. FNC executive VP of news Michael Clemente told The Hollywood Reporter that Ricks apologized off-air:

“When Mr. Ricks ignored the anchor’s question, it became clear that his goal was to bring attention to himself — and his book,” Clemente said in an e-mail to THR. “He apologized in our offices afterward but doesn’t have the strength of character to do that publicly.”

Ricks, who is in the middle of a publicity tour for his book The Generals, disputed that claim, telling THR:

“Please ask Mr. Clemente what the words of my supposed apology were. I’d be interested to know,” he said. “Frankly, I don’t remember any such apology.”

Update: Clemente calls Ricks’ response “utterly dishonest,” and told TVNewser what Ricks told FNC staffers after his segment:

“I’m surprised by the General’s utter dishonesty,” Clemente says. “I’ll refresh his memory – what he said following the segment was, ‘Sorry… I’m tired from a non-stop book tour.’ Perhaps now he can finally get some rest.”

NEXT PAGE >>