We’ve been saying that it’s been on the cards for a while, but long-term Twitter numero uno Lady Gaga, who was the most-followed user on the micro-blogging social network for more than two years, has fallen to third place amongst the platform’s elite, being caught and passed by Katy Perry.
Both ladies are still more than 2.5 million followers behind Twitter king Justin Bieber, and Perry doesn’t seem to be any closer to catching Bieber now than she was three months ago.
Earlier this month, Lady Gaga, who hasn’t tweeted since February 6th, changed her Twitter profile avatar back to the default egg picture, in what is being suggested as part of a marketing stunt to promote her upcoming and fourth stupid album, ARTPOP. She’s going to need all the help she can get if she is interested in mounting a bid to return to Twitter’s top spot.
In the meantime, here’s an updated look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 41,678,460 followers)
2. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 39,150,772)
3. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 39,067,037)
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 33,959,671)
5. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 30,601,246)
6. Rihanna (@rihanna, 30,500,247)
7. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 29,145,532)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 22,664,152)
9. Shakira (@shakira, 21,270,766)
10. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 20,758,316)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]
- Pinterest, Tumblr Drive More Website Traffic Than Twitter, Says StatCounter [STATS]