• Diane Sawyer herself: “There is no one like Charlie Gibson and it is an enormous honor to be asked to join the terrific broadcast he and the great team of journalists have built at World News. Until then, I’ll be getting up early and spending mornings, as always, counting myself so lucky to be with Robin, Chris and Sam and the incredibly smart, talented and dedicated team of Good Morning America.”
And the competition…
• Katie Couric: “Ever since my days as a desk assistant at ABC News, I’ve always admired Charlie’s work. He’s a talented reporter, a gifted communicator, and a wonderful person. I wish him all the best. Diane is one of the hardest-working people I know and this new assignment is the latest achievement in an already accomplished and illustrious career. And as I did, I’m sure she’ll quickly find that she doesn’t miss that early morning alarm clock.”
• Brian Williams: “I would love to say that ABC’s loss is NBC’s gain, but then they went and appointed Diane Sawyer to replace Charlie Gibson. That doesn’t lessen the competition one bit.”
- President Obama: 'The world is shaped by people like Jim Foley'
- WATCH LIVE: President Obama to Deliver 12:45pm Statement
- New Uber SVP David Plouffe and Uber CEO Join Bloomberg TV's 'Street Smart'
- Bret Baier and Andrea Mitchell Both Nominate Chuck Todd for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge