Are you a fan of embedding tweets in posts? If so, you’ll LOVE Twitter’s new offering because it allows you to embed an entire timeline, never mind just a tweet.
If you don’t know how to embed tweets (or what that even means), check out this post where we explain what embedding is and how to do it before continuing on.
Twitter announced the new feature on its blog earlier today:
Today we’re launching a new tool that makes it easy to embed interactive timelines of Tweets on any website. Whether it’s an author’s Tweets alongside their blog, a hashtag about an event like #DNC2012, or a list of competitors at the US Open, Tweets add a live, real-time dimension to articles, news reports, and the web at large. These new embeddable timelines enable publishers, writers, developers, and any Twitter user to drop a rich, interactive piece of Twitter into their websites.
Why embed tweets or timelines? It makes them clickable and interactive – like this:
Do you ever embed tweets in posts?
— Mary C Long (@MaryCLong) September 5, 2012
Imagine doing that with a whole timeline!
Check out these examples Twitter offers up – they look pretty slick with the white background and they really blend with the websites. They look much better than the embedded timeline on Twitter’s blog, oddly enough!
- ESPN is embedding a US Open Tennis list to display all of the latest tennis news and Tweets to espn.go.com visitors.
- London Fashion Week is putting the best Tweets and photos from the runway directly on their website.
- Writer Margaret Atwood (@MargaretAtwood) has put an embedded timeline on her personal homepage, connecting visitors directly with the conversations she’s having with readers and other writers on Twitter.
You can create your own embedded timeline using Twitter’s widget tool. When you click it, you’ll be greeted with this:
And then this:
And voila! The embed code will be on the bottom right of the screen. It’s really easy to create a tailored timeline to meet any need.
Will you be incorporating this on your website?
(Embed image from Shutterstock)
- Turning Twitter Followers Into Your Best Customers: How To Attract, Engage And Convert On Twitter
- The Truth About Twitter: Everything You've Ever Needed To Know (And Some Things That You Didn't)
- Take The First Step Towards Twitter Success With The AllTwitter Marketing Bible
- Influence Matters: Twitter And The Future Of Social Intelligence