Twitter comes with a pretty steep learning curve. When you’re brand new to the network, or still on the outside (looking in), it can sometimes feel a little like this private club that everybody gets except you.
That couldn’t be any further from the truth.
It’s all too easy to think that the path to enlightenment on Twitter requires knowledge of some kind of twenty-first century witchcraft, the capability of which has long-since passed you by. You might think that you’re too old and set in your ways. All this social media stuff? Well, that’s something you couldn’t possibly understand. Right?
Wrong. Reality check: you already know how to use Twitter. In fact, you know how to use it well. The necessary skills are established and in place, because you’ve spent years grooving and perfecting them in the ‘real world’.
- You’re meeting and engaging with new people
- You’re forming relationships
- You’re nursing those relationships
- You’re solving problems
- You’re shipping on time
- You’re building a positive reputation
- You’re becoming an authority
Twitter might seem strange and even a little scary at first, but all it takes is a little application, a little perseverance, and a little work. Sure, a little technical expertise is required, but that’s nowhere near as daunting as you may have been led to believe.
Don’t listen to the naysayers – just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Because here’s the thing: once you’ve picked up a little momentum, things are going to change, and they’re going to change fast. You’re going to connect with some fantastic people, position yourself right on the edge of the information curve and open up a wealth of new opportunities that the old, pre-Twitter you couldn’t possibly compete with.
So… what are you waiting for?
(Twitter icon via Shutterstock.)
- This Week on #Twitter: 10 Secret Twitter Hacks, Twitter Followers on Bing, Social Media Job Mistakes
- How to Build a Unique Visual Brand on Twitter
- Here's How You Can Send Money to a Friend Via Twitter (in France)
- 10 Secret #Twitter Tips, Tricks and Hacks (That You Probably Don't Know)