Football – or soccer if you’re in North America – has some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, making it far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, with the top clubs (and athletes) each boasting millions of fans (and tweets). But which teams are faring best?
Barcelona continues to lead the way ahead of its great rival, Real Madrid, but the gap is narrowing rapidly, with Madrid now just 300,000 followers behind.
Arsenal is the top UK Premier League team, maintaining its position at third place this month, but they face increasing competition from Chelsea, who will likely pass them next month.
Selección Mexicana (+769,262), the official Twitter profile of the Mexican national team, and CBF Futebol (+697,670), the official Twitter profile of the (recently humiliated) Brazilian national side, both posted the biggest follower gains this month and are now in ninth and tenth place overall.
The Top 10 Football Teams On Twitter
1. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 12,010,972 fans)
2. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 11,701,439)
3. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 4,011,772)
4. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 3,998,523)
5. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 3,855,510)
6. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 3,204,330)
7. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 2,867,319)
8. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 2,704,192)
9. Selección Mexicana (@miseleccionmx, 2,202,084)
10. CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol, 2,134,412)
Note: chart includes only the top profile of each team and excludes other-language accounts (i.e., @FCBarcelona_es).
(Football image via Shutterstock.)
- Hip Hop Poet Delivers on Promise, Offers 100,000 Twitter Followers a Drink
- Katy Perry Thanks Discreet Starbucks Barista With a Tweet
- Twitter Adds New Features For Verified Users (Average Joes Need Not Apply)
- New From Twitter: Promoted Video