Football – or soccer if you’re in North America – has some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, making it far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, with the top clubs (and athletes) each boasting millions of fans (and tweets). But which teams are faring best?
Barcelona continues to lead the way ahead of its great rival, Real Madrid, but the gap is narrowing rapidly, with Madrid adding more than twice as many followers in the past month.
Arsenal is the top UK Premier League team, jumping up to third place this month, but they face increasing competition from Chelsea, who move up to fourth place overall.
Of note: Selección Mexicana, the official Twitter profile of the Mexican national team, is now tenth.
The Top 10 Football Teams On Twitter
1. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 11,858,781 fans)
2. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 11,469,587)
3. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 3,928,549)
4. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 3,908,100)
5. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 3,822,544)
6. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 3,161,903)
7. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 2,801,567)
8. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 2,594,542)
9. AC Milan (@acmilan, 2,000,995)
10. Selección Mexicana (@miseleccionmx, 1,920,022)
Note: chart includes only the top profile of each team and excludes other-language accounts (i.e., @FCBarcelona_es).
(Football image via Shutterstock.)
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]
- Pinterest, Tumblr Drive More Website Traffic Than Twitter, Says StatCounter [STATS]