Do you consider yourself adorkable? Have you ever posted a nomakeupselfie, perhaps while you were making a duckface?
No, me neither. But many are now using these words and others like them as an everyday part of their online lexicon, so researchers at Collins are using Twitter to poll the public about their favourites, with the winner being selected to appear in the twelfth edition of the Collins English Dictionary in October.
To vote, visit the Collins #Twictionary website and select your word of choice from the following list (with meanings):
- Adorkable - dorky in an adorable way
- Gaybourhood - a gay-friendly neighbourhood
- Fatberg - a large mass of solid waste, grease, etc, clogging a sewage system
- Felfie - a farmer selfie
- Duckface - the traditional ‘pouting’ facial expression in selfies
- Vaguebooking - posting deliberately vague status updates on social media to prompt a response
- Euromaidan - the original pro-Europe protests in Ukraine, named for Maidan Square in Kiev
- Fracktivist - an activist who protests against fracking
- Nomakeupselfie - a selfie of a woman without make-up, posted online to raise awareness for a charity
“Language has always had to develop in response to changes in society and technology,” said Ian Brookes, lexicographer and consultant editor to the Collins English Dictionary. “In the twentieth century the development of the motor car, air travel, television, and the personal computer changed the things that people did and so brought many new words into the language. In the twenty-first century, the growth of social media has had a comparable effect.
“New words have come into effect to describe the specific things people do on social media: tweet, hashtag, unfollow. Moreover, social media also facilitate new ways of spending our leisure time, such as social gaming and couchsurfing, which in turn bring more new vocabulary into the language.”
The competition closes at midnight on May 28th.
(Twitter image via Shutterstock.)
- Twitter Selling Ads, Eyeing Growth (And Battling Censorship) in #Russia
- After #Instagram’s Spammer Purge, #Twitter Must be Bigger Now. Right?
- Twitter Must Ban Racist, Anti-Semitic Words, Says MP
- Facebook’s Stock Has Destroyed #Twitter’s in 2014