WebMediaBrands, our parent company, has a commenting policy. Who knew. We’re publishing it here so you can familiarize yourselves with the right way to interact in our comments section. Yeah, saying whatever you want is fun. But let’s be honest, it’s possible to have fun without telling anyone they should die or become a nun or whatever. You’re creatives so those of you who are big meanies don’t really have an excuse. You want creative freedom? You’ve got it. Click continued for the rules.
On Monday we posted asking the big dogs to come out and use their real names. Only one did, a Hugh G. Rection, from some unknown agency. Apparently he’s trained most of the industry’s top peoples.
Look, we know what we are and yeah sometimes we post average news that maybe you can find elsewhere. Well poop on my face, that’s just terrible. Here’s how it works — if a story comes across my plate that I think might be mildly interesting to some of you, I work it in. But then things happen like last week when you flamed the shit out of Chiat LA all loved it. You tore it apart. So the exciting offsets the less-exciting. It makes for a well rounded blog, and that’s OK with me.
For real though, you guys make this thing what it is, and without your tips this wouldn’t mean anything to anyone. I read AdAge and Adweek all the time, and they do some of the same stuff we do in regards to quoting anonymous sources — but it’s the presentation that’s different and that seems to be what you like. Here’s why we do it that way: everything in news is spin. The only time anyone goes on the record is to nail some competitor to the wall or defend their honor. But it’s still spin. We don’t make this stuff up. So help us avoid the bullshit (er, traditional news style) and send us your news. You are AgencySpy; I’ll be your mic.
More: “Where Everybody Knows Your Name”
Please remember that the open and real-time nature of these Forums makes it is impossible for us to vouch for the validity of any content posted. As such, we are not responsible for any messages posted nor the consequences of following any advice offered within Forum posts. The views expressed in the posts you will find in these forums belong solely to their respective authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of WebMediaBrands, its affiliates, and/or sponsors. If you find any posts in these Forums to be offensive or objectionable, please contact us via email to the address offered as a contact for the Forums in question. If we determine that removal of a post or posts is necessary, we will make reasonable efforts to do so in a timely manner.
By using these Forums, you agree to the following:
* By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service (collectively “the content”), you are granting WebMediaBrands Inc., its successors and assignees, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content on the site to which it was contributed (or successor site). In plain English, you allow us to continue to display your contributions to the site. We won’t do anything else with them, however.
* If you contribute any graphic images or photographs, you accept all liability for any model or property release issues that may arise from an individual or trademarked property in the content. Please do not submit any images or photographs for which you do not have a current model or property release.
* You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.
* You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.
* You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
* You will respect other people’s right to personal privacy and will not post any other person’s identifying information (including their names, contact information, and any other relevant information) within the forum but your own.
* You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to discuss illegal activities.
* You will not to impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting, nor collect or store personal data about other users.
* You will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by these Forums.
* You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, “cracks,” or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.
* You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, all of which are inappropriate and prohibited in the Forums. You will not, furthermore, collect personal information about forum members for the purpose of sending them any such advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).
* You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any Forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as “flooding”).
* You will not attempt to access any protected sections of the sites or Forums, nor make use of any hacks, cracks, bug exploits, etc. to bypass or modify the features of the forum software at any WebMediaBrands site.
* You will, if asked by a representative of the Forums, cease posting any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste by the staff of the Forums.
These Forums do not and cannot review all of the content of every message posted and do not accept responsibility for the contents of any messages. We reserve the right to delete any message and/or restrict posting rights in our Forums for any reason whatsoever. Should you continue to post messages that violate the rules of the Forums, your account may be terminated, your access to the Forums may be banned, and your service provider(s) may be contacted about your behavior. Furthermore, we expressly reserve our rights under the law to take any other actions we deem necessary.
We at these Forums also reserve the right to disclose personal information when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to conform to the edicts of the law or comply with a legal process served on WebMediaBrands, protect and defend the rights or property of WebMediaBrands network of sites, or visitors to WebMediaBrands, identify persons who may be violating the law, the legal notice, or the rights of third parties, and cooperate with the investigations of purported unlawful activities.
(Revised February 23, 2009)