Politico, known for working its employees to the bone, is making life easier for new parents in its midst. Announced this morning in an internal memo, COO Kim Kingsley tells staff that the maternity policy has changed. Employees with primary care of a “newborn or newly adopted baby” may now take up to 12 fully-paid weeks off. Originally, staffers had to take advantage of the Family Medical Leave Act and use their own vacation/sick time for time off if they wanted to be paid.
See the internal memo…
From: Kim Kingsley
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:02 AM
Subject: New Maternity Leave Policy
I am very pleased to announce that we have implemented a new and enhanced maternity leave policy.
The full, official version will be issued in the near future as a part of the employee handbook, but the policy is in effect now.
Here are the highlights:
· Employees with primary responsibility for care of a newborn or newly adopted baby may take up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid leave.
· The first four (4) weeks are paid at full salary for non-commission and commission employees by using sick leave (and vacation leave if necessary).
· Employees will be permitted to use all leave that would be accrued for the current fiscal year.
· Non-commission compensated employees will receive their full base pay without having to use any sick or vacation leave for the remaining eight weeks.
· Commission compensated employees will also receive their full base salary for the remaining eight (8) weeks without having to use any sick or vacation leave. In addition, they will receive 100% of commissions on business booked prior to initiating their leave, but slated to run during the leave, and 50% of commissions on business booked on their assigned accounts after their leave has started.
· Leave under this enhanced leave policy will be available to employees with a year or more of service, but the company will evaluate extending coverage to newer employees during a phase in period on a case by case basis.
Please let me or Joanne Ochsman, our VP of Human Resources, know if you have any questions. She can be reached at [BLANK EMAIL ADDRESS.]
- NBC News President Confirms Chuck Todd to Replace David Gregory as 'MTP' Host
- Hearst Television's Hallie Jackson to Join NBC News as Network Correspondent
- Shawna Thomas to Join NBC's 'Meet the Press' as Senior Editor
- Yahoo News' Olivier Knox Offers Look at President Obama's 'Secret Schedule'