After a serious cyber-attack, www.WTOP.com and www.FederalNewsRadio.com are back online. This began last week when they discovered that the websites had been attacked. After authorities were notified, access was blocked on Internet Explorer browsers until they could complete a thorough investigation. They added new security measures and examined the incident to find out how an attack happened.
Service was officially back on the evening of Saturday, May 11.
In a press release, Joel Oxley, Senior VP and GM of WTOP and Federal News Radio, says, ”getting the websites back up and running safely for all users has been our top priority. We take our users’ privacy very seriously, and we have taken steps to prevent similar occurrences. We apologize to our user community for any inconvenience that this incident has caused.”
More from the press release on what users ought to do.
The full review was conducted by Mandiant, the cyber security consulting firm. John Spaulding, the Director of Information for Hubbard Radio, the parent company of WTOP and Federal News Radio, said they have “found and eliminated the vulnerabilities that were exploited.”
To be on the safe side, users who went to the websites between May 5 and May 7 are “encouraged” to update and run their security software and check for malware. They also advise anyone who is signed up to their website or breaking news alerts to change their passwords.
- 'Bromancing' Senators Cory Booker and Rand Paul Draw Laughs at Playbook Cocktails
- Team 'Press Pass' Prevails at National Journal's Political Pursuit
- CQ Roll Call Launches Healthopolis to Cover Health News in Congress and Fed Agencies
- Glenn Greenwald and Murtaza Hussain to Join HuffPost Live at Noon