Marketing Manager, Open Research Marketing
|Publication or Company
Macmillan Science and Education
||Book Publishing, Internet/Online/New Media, Magazine Publishing, Marketing, Other Publishing
New York, NY
||Macmillan Science and Education is seeking a Marketing Manager who will be for the planning and implementation of marketing to support a number of open access titles from the Nature Publishing Group and Palgrave Macmillan portfolio, including but not limited to Scientific Reports, Palgrave Communications, OA marketing for monographs, as well as wider support the companies open access initiatives.
This role can be based at either our London Campus or New York office.
Supporting evolving and important titles, this role requires strong planning and organizational skills, the ability to deliver business focus marketing campaigns to time and budget, and the ability to analyse results and report on effectiveness of campaigns, as well ability to work with senior external stakeholders.
Key tasks include but are not limited to:
• Prepare global marketing and communications plans for Scientific Reports, Palgrave Communications and HSS OA marketing, including the planning and management of an annual budget for each title or area:
• Oversee and implement a range of marketing communications tactics to:
• Drive online usage and readership
• Promote Content
• Support brand marketing activities
• Encourage registration for electronic products and services
• Generate submissions
• Generate revenue income
• Support the editorial and publishing teams through appropriate promotions and the generation of leads
• Analyse and report on ROI of activities
• Represent the marketing department at key exhibitions around the world
• Achieve specific KPIs as agreed with line manager
Skills and experience needed:
• University Degree, preferably in Science or Business/Marketing, or similar professional qualification
• Awareness of global marketing trends and techniques and a commitment to developing marketing best practice
• Knowledge of managed products and associated communities; awareness of industry trends and developments that target authors, readers and institutions
• Strong understanding of the open access landscape
• Digital marketing planning and implementation
• Proficiency in spreadsheet software (e.g. MS Excel)
• Creative sense, copywriting
• Numerical aptitude
• Excellent time and organizational management skills
• Social media marketing expertise and awareness
• Familiar with Webtrends and Google Analytics
How to apply
To apply, please upload a copy of your CV and a covering letter via the 'apply for job' link below quoting vacancy reference MSS/019/14. Please highlight which location you prefer and indicate you salary expectations in that currency.
Candidates must have an existing right to work in their desired location prior to applying.
Macmillan Science and Education Headquartered in a newly developed central London campus, Macmillan Science and Education has over 5,000 employees in over 50 markets supplying high-quality content and innovative digital services to 120 countries around the world.
Its world-renowned brands include: Nature, which is the most cited science publication in the world, accessed by 8m scientists; Scientific American, which now has over 5 million unique visitors and 500,000 twitter followers; Macmillan Education, which is a top three global provider of English language learning; and Palgrave, a leading provider of social science research and a digital innovator.
Three disruptive businesses were set up in the past two years to invest in innovative science and education technology start-ups. These are Digital Science, which invests in next-generation tools and software to help scientists do away with the everyday inefficiencies of research, and Digital Education and Macmillan New Ventures which transform the way people find, consume, and teach educational content.
For more information about the Macmillan group click here to visit our website.