Multi Media Journalist
|Publication or Company
The Weather Channel
||Internet/Online/New Media, TV/Cable
New York, NY
This role is responsible for capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple television and digital platforms, as well as assisting with creation and production of story ideas. The candidate will also coordinate and facilitate remote live shots.Either working alone or with other team members or reporters, the candidate must be an energetic storyteller with a drive to get the story told, and a strong eye for capturing engaging visual images.Must be able to shoot, edit and feed their own material. Excellent reading, writing, visual, aural and organizational skills, both for TV broadcast and online content is required.
· Support the TWC storytelling team by gathering, shooting and editing material for TWC Air.
· Contribute to the development and production of story ideas in a proactive style that blends well with the rest of the network team.
· Present compelling and technically sound live shots when assigned, with a focus on breaking news and severe weather coverage
· Collaborate with the Video Photography and Post-Production Craft Editing teams, Engineering/IT, video producers, show producers, as well as other editorial teams to create the best possible stories
· Suggest and receive assignments, or evaluates news leads and news tips, to develop story ideas
· Work cooperatively with reporters assigned to stories
· Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories. Edits and submit videos for all multimedia platforms
· Maintain a complete operational understanding of all team processes, procedures and workflows
· Interact effectively horizontally through TWC as needed, working closely and collaboratively with multiple departments
· Manage specific equipment / resources such as cameras, computers, hard drives, media cards, etc.
· Coordinates with Engineering/IT to ensure all that all assigned equipment is maintained and functioning properly
· Must be a self-directed worker, willing and able to take the initiative to set focus and direction
· Must possess unquestionable ethical standards
· Must be customer-focused and a team player
· Must be flexible and adaptable in a rapidly changing environment
· Must get along well with others, and be willing and able to deal with diverse culture & customer base challenges across a variety of issues
· Must be eager to develop their personal skillset
· Must be willing to work extended hours when necessary, recognizing that TWC is a 24/7-network environment
· Must have the ability to interface between creative and technical professionals
· May be required to lift and carry equipment weighing as much as 25 lbs.
· Must be able to look at a computer monitor and other monitors for a period of 3-4 hours. Some monitors may be as close at 2ft and as far as 12ft away.
Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
· Demonstrated videography and non-linear editing experience required
· Five years hands-on experience with video shooting/MMJ
· Five years hands-on experience with current DTE/NLE editing systems
· Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment - including a conceptual understanding of 4K and other emerging technologies
· Knowledge of broadcast and AP style writing skills
· Understanding of posting and receiving content through cloud-based storage
· Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
· Understanding of newsroom computer systems (ie, iNews), with first hand experience preferred
· Teamwork skills including listening, initiative, and follow through required
· Ability to see technical issues in light of operational requirements and act on them accordingly
· Must be well organized
- Must posses a valid driver's license and be able to provide proof of motor vehicle insurablity
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to think creatively, strategically and identify/resolve problems.
Ability to succeed in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Strong organizational and time management skills.
Ability to manage media budgets.
|About Our Company
||The Weather Channel is the world's leading cross-platform media company with a portfolio that includes The Weather Channel television network, TWC digital properties (weather.com, mobile and tablet applications) and Weather Services International (WSI). Headquartered in Cobb County since 1982, The Weather Channel brand has connected millions of consumers by providing the most accurate weather forecasts, 24 hours a day. Seen in more than 100 million U.S. households, The Weather Channel network is one of the most widely-distributed cable networks. The Weather Channel online properties reach 60 million unique Web consumers each month. This includes 32 million consumers monthly through weather.com on mobile Web and mobile apps. TWC has the No.1 app on all smartphones and is the second most used app on all smartphones. WSI provides business-to-business weather services to media, aviation, marine and energy sectors.