Special Writer- Data
Newsday Media Group, Long Island, NY USA
Work at Newsday Media Group
Essential Duties & Functions
- Undertake data analyses and help interpret results in support of enterprise, daily and investigative stories by you and in collaboration with Newsday reporters and editors.
- Assist colleagues in brainstorming, acquisition, cleaning, vetting and analysis to increase the inclusion of data in our daily and short-term reporting. This includes working with journalists around the newsroom and digital/print presentation colleagues.
- Working for the investigation editor and together with others with data reporting and analysis skills, be able to juggle project requirements while also being comfortable assisting with short-term story flow. The ability to help and teach colleagues is key to helping increase the data reporting skills of our newsroom.
- Candidate should be a spreadsheet master and comfortable analyzing datasets containing numerous tables with millions of rows. The candidate also should have experience with GIS analysis and using at least one programming language for data collection and cleaning.
- Work with digital alternative storytelling team and print designers to employ data visualization across all platforms.
- The Company requires that the successful candidate hired for this position be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19, absent being granted an accommodation due to medical, pregnancy, or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption. If you are selected for this position, you will be asked if you are able to meet the requirement.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
Home of the world’s best books.