It’s that magical time of year when unless your brand is tangential related to Christmas, your ads don’t even have to sell anything.
Take, for example, the above spot for StubHub by Duncan/Channon, which finds the online ticket retailer’s “Ticket Oak” mascot screaming about a Christmas tree. You see, it doesn’t have to sell anything, and those kinds of spots are always a ton of fun to work on for agencies.
Is it a reference to 90s grunge stars, Screaming Trees? Is there compelling evidence that use of the “Ticket Oak” at any opportunity increases StubHub’s revenue? Is there market research that tells us people find talking tress weird, but in a funny way? We don’t know, and we don’t need to know. It’s Christmas, and this is about branding, not moving the needle. Credits after the jump.
• Executive creative director, copy writer – Parker Channon
• Associate creative director, art director – Ken Hall
• Executive producer – Christine Gomez
• Account director – Eric Dunn
• Account supervisor – Jenn Gbur
• Production company – Biscuit Filmworks
• Director – Mike Maguire
• Managing director – Shawn Lacy
• Executive producer – Colleen O’Donnell
• Producer – Laure Stevens
• Director of photography – Ulrik Boel Bentzen
- The 10 Biggest Campaign Posts of 2014
- SS+K Dreams of Midnight for Smile Train
- We Hear: Mello Yello to Ames Scullin O’Haire?
- Huge Parties It Up for Crate and Barrel