It’s that magical time of year when unless your brand is tangential related to Christmas, your ads don’t even have to sell anything.
Take, for example, the above spot for StubHub by Duncan/Channon, which finds the online ticket retailer’s “Ticket Oak” mascot screaming about a Christmas tree. You see, it doesn’t have to sell anything, and those kinds of spots are always a ton of fun to work on for agencies.
Is it a reference to 90s grunge stars, Screaming Trees? Is there compelling evidence that use of the “Ticket Oak” at any opportunity increases StubHub’s revenue? Is there market research that tells us people find talking tress weird, but in a funny way? We don’t know, and we don’t need to know. It’s Christmas, and this is about branding, not moving the needle. Credits after the jump.
• Executive creative director, copy writer – Parker Channon
• Associate creative director, art director – Ken Hall
• Executive producer – Christine Gomez
• Account director – Eric Dunn
• Account supervisor – Jenn Gbur
• Production company – Biscuit Filmworks
• Director – Mike Maguire
• Managing director – Shawn Lacy
• Executive producer – Colleen O’Donnell
• Producer – Laure Stevens
• Director of photography – Ulrik Boel Bentzen
- JNA Advertising Dreams Big for Kansas Lottery
- McCann Rolls Out More 'Priceless Surprises' with Justin Timberlake for Mastercard
- Carmichael Lynch Strolls Down 'Memory Lane' for Subaru
- twofifteenmccann Invites You to 'Leave Your Limits' for Forza Horizon 2