You don’t have to answer out loud, as it might be quite embarrassing to admit, but are you using a password for your Twitter account that would be easy for anyone to guess?
You can test to see whether you’re using a predictable password by comparing it to the 25 worst passwords of 2011.
Mashable was able to get data from SplashData about the most common passwords on the internet over the past year. And while some of them are predictable, others might surprise you. However, they’re all pretty bad choices to protect your tweets.
Here’s the list of the 25 worst passwords in 2011:
Just take a look at the top 5. Doesn’t it make you cringe? Using “password” as your password is one of the oldest “DO NOT DO”s in the book. And “12345678″ is just as bad…
There might be a few passwords that surprise you on this list, such as names like “ashley” and “michael”, but still: if your password is one of the ones on this list, change it. Now.
SplashData compiled this list of the absolute worst passwords of the year by looking at millions of stolen passwords posted online by hackers. So not only are they among the most popular passwords out there, they’re also the 25 most likely to be hacked.
From here, you need only enter that ultra-vulnerable bad password one more time for verification, and then you get to pick a new one.
Here are some tips when coming up with a new Twitter password:
- Use letters and numbers, and avoid using a dictionary word.
- Strong passwords will also have upper and lowercase letters, and include at least one symbol (such as “!” or “@”)
- Make it something that you can remember, but that will be hard for anyone else to guess.
- Don’t use the same password for your Twitter account as you use for any other service, like email, Facebook or your online banking.
(Hat tip: Mashable)
- This Week on #Twitter: Social Media Evolution, #Instagram > Twitter, Top 14 Social Metrics
- 7 Types of Engagement That Can Get You More Customers on Twitter
- How to Drive Traffic With #Twitter Cards (In 4 Easy Steps) [INFOGRAPHIC]
- This Week on #Twitter: Uber > Twitter, Social Posting Guide, Everyone You’ve Blocked on Twitter