Promoting your business on Twitter can be tricky. You don’t want to just spam folks with links to your blog posts, yet creating a personality for your brand has its drawbacks.
What if there was another way? Mass Relevance seems to have found one – and we have suggestions for a couple more.
Mass Relevance has been hosting a weekly “just for fun” survey – and it’s drawing quite a crowd. Each week, they ask a question and offer two choices for participants to choose from. The topics are always fun and light. People vote for their choices by tweeting their answer, which then promotes the hashtag battle to even more potential participants.
Does it work? Check out the #htbf hashtag and see for yourself. (Yes, it does.)
You can find previous weeks’ battles on the Mass Relevance Facebook page, if you’re curious. Last week’s question asked which comedy series deserved a Golden Globe: Modern Family or Big Band Theory. The answer is obvious, isn’t it? Regardless of the answer, participants love to vote and see if their side wins.
But they’ve already done this, so what can YOU do? Here are a couple of suggestions to put you in the right mindset:
- Set up a dedicated page that’s similar to Hashtag Battle Friday and ask people to vote on their favorite product (giving two choices). This will only work well for fun stuff, no one will feel motivated to vote on toaster styles. For example, if you’re a retailer, maybe you’d show two very different (though equally cool) pieces of clothing, giving each an edgy or funny name. Everyone want to be known (in some small way) online, and your product can help them share their personalities.
- Create a contest asking folks to create and then tweet a tagline for a product – and the person with the most retweets wins something. Make it something worth winning though. “10% off your next smoothie” is not motivating; a $25 gift card could be – it all depends on your audience.
Do you have any ideas to add?
(Having fun image from Shutterstock)
- Twitter Analytics Are Now Available to Everyone (And Here's the Top Metric You Should Watch)
- Twitter Ads Launch in 12 New Markets, Including Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Ukraine
- 5 Ways to #HitYourGoals With Twitter Advertising [INFOGRAPHIC]
- This Week on #Twitter: 99% of Social Posts = no Engagement, Top 25 Mobile Apps, Twitter Best Practices