2013 was kind of a big deal for social media, certainly when it comes to monthly active users (MAU).
Twitter’s IPO saw the release of some official user numbers, with the network boasting 232 million actives through September of this year. Big as this figure is, Twitter ranks behind both LinkedIn (amazingly) and Google+ (uh huh) for active users, and everybody is dwarfed by Facebook, which smashed through the one billion MAU barrier in 2012 and still grew by 20 percent this year.
This visual from dustn.tv provides a snapshot of active social media users on Facebook, Google+*, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
* Take the Google+ number with a very hefty pinch – the actual active user number is closer to half that and een then it’s debatable how active those users are. After all, if Google+ was this buzzy, and had this many users, don’t you think you’d have seen at least ONE television show incorporate it into their programming by now? “Let’s check the reaction on Google+” has been said live on TV exactly zero times.
- Twitter at the #Emmys: 1.1 Million Tweets, Seth Myers, Breaking Bad Dominate Conversion [STATS]
- The @MTV #VMAs on Twitter: 12.6 Million Tweets, 138,792 Tweets Per Minute Peak [STATS]
- The Top 25 Mobile Apps (Twitter is 14th, Behind Yahoo Weather) [STATS]
- U.S. Social Commerce - Statistics & Trends [INFOGRAPHIC]