Football – or soccer if you’re in North America – has some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, making it far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, with the top clubs (and athletes) each boasting millions of fans. But which teams are faring best?
Barcelona continues to lead the way, about three-quarters of a million fans ahead of its great rival, Real Madrid.
Arsenal is the top UK Premier League team, jumping up to third place this month, and adding some distance between themselves and Chelsea. Premier League champions Manchester City remain in tenth place overall.
The Top 10 Football Teams On Twitter
1. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 11,567,723 fans)
2. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 10,813,988)
3. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 3,785,078)
4. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 3,762,153)
5. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 3,755,620)
6. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 3,073,585)
7. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 2,684,957)
8. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 2,412,323)
9. AC Milan (@acmilan, 1,905,743)
10. Manchester City (@MCFC, 1,698,977)
Note: chart includes only the top profile of each team and excludes other-language accounts (i.e., @FCBarcelona_es).
(Football image via Shutterstock.)
- The 20 Most Popular Brands on #Twitter
- The Top 10 Most Popular #Football Teams On Twitter
- The 10 Most Popular People on Twitter [STATS]
- Twitter's User Growth is The Lowest it's Ever Been