Did you watch the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics? We’ve all had lots of special memories over the past 16 days, and social media played a huge part in sharing those experiences – more than 150 million tweets about the Olympics were sent during the competition.
Over on the official blog, Twitter has compiled a list of the most tweet-worthy events of the Games, including the most popular athletes, sporting moments and competition peaks.
Unsurprisingly, triple gold medal winner Usain Bolt was the star of the show, with his victory in the 200m sprint generating a Twitter-leading 80,000 tweets per minute (TPM), good enough to finish ahead of of, uh, Usain Bolt, whose 100m sprint gold medal clocked 74,000.
Andy Murray’s men’s tennis win (57,000+ TPM), Jamaica’s world record 4x100m relay (52,000+ TPM) and Team USA beating Spain in the men’s basketball (41,000+ TPM) rounded out the top five.
For the individual athletes, it was Bolt who once again emerged victorious as the most discussed participant in the games. Overall, ten Olympians were each mentioned in more than one million tweets.
1.Usain Bolt (@UsainBolt)
2. Michael Phelps (@MichaelPhelps)
3. Tom Daley (@TomDaley1994)
4. Ryan Lochte (@ryanlochte)
5. Gabby Douglas (@gabrielledoug)
6. Andy Murray (@andy_murray)
7. Kobe Bryant (#GetKobeOnTwitter)
8. Yohan Blake (@YohanBlake)
9. Lee Chong Wei (@Lee_C_Wei)
10. LeBron James (@KingJames)
And, on Twitter of course, LeBron James revealed just how Team USA would be celebrating their gold medal win.
It’s a celebration!! Gold on ice instagr.am/p/OPQAXWCTIG/
— LeBron James (@KingJames) August 12, 2012
Soccer led all sports with some five million tweets, and the Spice Girls performance during the closing ceremony was the highlight of the night, peaking at a none-too-shabby 116,000 tweets per minute.
Twitter worked closely with NBC to become the “official narrator” of the Games, and it appears to have paid off for our favourite micro-blogging network (less so for NBC). What was your favourite memory of the London Olympics? Hit the comments to let us know.
- How Big Was The Game Of Thrones Season 4 Premier On Twitter And Facebook? [STATS]
- The 20 Most Popular Brands On Twitter [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- Twitter Ad Revenue Forecast To Exceed $1 Billion In 2014 [STATS]